Xi3 - Modular everlasting computer.

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Xi3 - Modular everlasting computer.

Postby viking60 » 08 Jul 2011, 11:03

ImageNow it is here! The computer that you never have to replace and you can upgrade it forever.
Image It is fantastic it is versatile, scalable it will be cheap....and I don't understand the difference :shock:
Sure it will look different that I get. So I thought I'd have a look at a video:

eh que??? What did she say about the product?? She talked about consumer expectations! So whats new?
They want to provide cards that make it posible to upgrade the box forever - we can do that today. Provided that the cards in fact still are produced! So the new thing here must be that they will provide that -how?
I guess they need some heavy duty partners, and they have got one: Googles Chromium PC is based on X13
The current version of the Xi3 Modular Computer is available with SUSE Linux starting at $849 (cheap?) or Windows 7 starting at $998. More information, plus links to online sales, may be found at the Xi3 Modular Computer site. (Let us hope that the product is better than the site!)

As far as I can tell after having removed the marketing words and good looking ladies; we have a new computer here that looks a bit different. And if it only works in the "cloud" it means that it is a sorry excuse for a computer that cannot handle the programs by itself - or a really clumsy smartphone.
They are ambitious though - they want to set a new standard - nothing less!
Can anyone remember the IBM PC industry standard? :lol:

(I must admit; it has this exiting gadget look to it so I might try one)
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Re: Xi3 - Modular everlasting computer.

Postby rolf » 08 Jul 2011, 15:17

Mmm, sexy. The Xi3 is cute, too. :s

Looks like they are trying to drum up buzz and investors for a pretty ambitious market creating project.

@ http://www.xi3.org/tech_specs.php

5A Model # 5202
Processor Module
(Module No. CPU-5A-C21)
Processor/Socket:
Single-core 64-bit 2000+
Speed: 1.0GHz
Memory: 2GB DDR2
L2 Cache: 1MB
Power: 8 Watts
Interface: HT3-1GHz

In case 8 watts is the entire draw of a working computer with ssd, it might make for an attractive web server thingy, but I am, personally, priced out of the market. :cry:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 08 Jul 2011, 20:46

Yeah the cheap part is not entirely truthful :o
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 08 Jul 2011, 22:57

OOOOOOOOO but, but, it's ISYS!!! And, and, and, may I just pause for a moment to say, "WANT!!!" And, and, and you can build your own!!!

But I do believe I'll wait til the prices come down a tad... but I got dibs on the Passion!!!
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Hardware”