Looking for wireless adapter

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Looking for wireless adapter

Postby dedanna1029 » 29 May 2011, 16:42

IMHO, there's really nothing still to this day like landline DSL. Wireless, too unreliable, still too many security holes for me to want to fool with it.

But, that's just my own opinion.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 29 May 2011, 17:33

Thinking a little more, as long as I make a good splice connection, there's nothing extraordinary about adding (+/-) a dozen berserkens of copper to the phone line.
@Randy, I'm having a hard time finding intel on the Netgear WG 113, even at the Netgear site. Must be pretty old? :confused
Anyway, stapling a little CAT5 across the ceiling seems to be a prudent strategy. :A

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 29 May 2011, 17:42

rolf wrote:Anyway, stapling a little CAT5 across the ceiling seems to be a prudent strategy. :A

+1
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 29 May 2011, 18:03

Just curious, who's Randy? :lol:
No gods, no masters.

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 29 May 2011, 18:10

dOh right. I went to school with a Randy Head, so that is the connection, in my mind. :coffee_smile:

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 31 May 2011, 12:25

rolf wrote:Thinking a little more, as long as I make a good splice connection, there's nothing extraordinary about adding (+/-) a dozen berserkens of copper to the phone line.
@Randy, I'm having a hard time finding intel on the Netgear WG 113, even at the Netgear site. Must be pretty old? :confused
Anyway, stapling a little CAT5 across the ceiling seems to be a prudent strategy. :A

I know...

Might be no longer produced. I bought 3 of those NICs; they have the Atheros Chipset and works really well with the ndiswrapper with the Win2000 inf and sys driver files.

I can say, as long as it has an Atheros Chipset your chances are pretty high.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Jun 2011, 20:21

Don't know if this would be any help, as I don't do wireless, but it *may* be worth a look:

WiFi Extension Problem Solved: DD-WRT
No gods, no masters.

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 05 Jun 2011, 17:15

That's an interesting report, thanks. At home, I have purchased a model of Linksys WRT54GL that has enough flashable memory to accept the third-party Linux firmwares, like dd-wrt. I chose Tomato, as it has the "static dhcp" feature we needed to serve the thin client website over adsl.

WRT the Linksys from Uverse, I just ran some phone wire from stock back to the computer location, and that shows a connection at the subscribed up/down rate. Looking around the intertubes when setting up the Uverse equipment, the modem and router showing good status for broadband, but the browser not finding pages, I ran across another problem that seems to be connected with the Uverse modem not dealing well with Linux or Mac machines, perhaps: Uverse slow dns That starts in July, 2008 and there are similar reports from this year. I see reports on ATT's failure to deliver on promises to provide modem firmware that addresses this.

A workaround is to hard code dns servers into the desktop's network configuration, which I had done, guessing from experience. 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 are in my head from prior work on my very own Linksys and I used those but there is still a lot of 'looking up' time. At home, I found other advice to make an account with Open DNS, which I did, putting their dns server ip's into my Linksys.

I'm not sure but it seems like lookups are speedier at home, will try that out at gf's data center, soon. :C

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Jun 2011, 18:56

OpenDns did speed up thinks immediately when I started using it some years ago. But I could not get it to work with my router so I just use it on some boxes. It does not go well with DynDns and it can result in disturbances in the internal local network (when done like that).
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Hardware”