The "laptops that work with Linux" list

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

The "laptops that work with Linux" list

Postby viking60 » 25 Feb 2011, 12:21

Please share your experiences here. And do tell if it worked out of the box or what you had to adjust.
Here is a range that is known to work well with Linux:
http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/index.html
Basically all Thinkpads are certified for Linux (Suse and Redhat). Mostly you will have no problems with other distros.
Examples: Thinkpad W510 and Thinkpad L512
In general IBM deserves credit for being Linux compatible.
I also had Mandriva and Arch working on (an older) Toshiba Equium. Worked right out of the box with Mandriva.
What is your experience - I need to know +1
(And if it is older than 3 years please tell - mainly this should be a list over alternatives that we could buy)
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: The "laptops that work with Linux" list

Postby R_Head » 25 Feb 2011, 15:31

Eee PC seems to work extremely well.

I have 2 Dells one is a D800 and the other a D600, they are old as far today's standards but, they still performing so well that I am going to get the best of them.

Linux does not let them die :lol:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 Feb 2011, 20:14

Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 27 Feb 2011, 06:21

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez... more issues there on the ThinkWiki than anything I can think of. There's a lot. :(

HP I think has always done well as lappies with Linux. We've been able to install Linux on 3 of them now via my son, between him and two friends of his. The specific models aside from his own were, uh, uuuuuuuuuummm,,,

I know that mark very unhappily uses Dell, also. :mrgreen:

Hurrah, she got one right. So, uh, don't use Dell.

#BlondeWithAVeryTiredBrainWhoReallyShouldntPostHere
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 27 Feb 2011, 06:36

TOPIC: Whats a Good Quality Laptop to Run LINUX?
See this site for a nice series of laptops and netbooks that come pre-loaded with any of several Linux distributions. All are guaranteed to work out-of-the-box. In fact, the company ONLY makes Linux systems.
http://zareason.com/shop/home.php

the list at http://www.linux-laptop.net/ can be a little daunting, but it's a testamant to how well Linux had been adapted to running on laptops.

On a side note, I surrent run Linux on an Asus Aspire One, a Dell D830 (at work), and an HP TX1000, all without trouble.

Also, in case you were not aware, Dell does sell, on their website, some of their laptop models w/ Ubuntu pre-installed. If you want to avoid a big retail outfit like for what ever reason, another *great* company is system 75. They write custom drivers for the hardware in their laptops that is not well supported by the kernel, and provide commercial grade support for their laptops and drivers, and their prices are comparable to some of the bigger manufacturers.

But uh, as I said, don't buy Dell...
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 15 Jun 2011, 14:00

Here are some that work with Linux

viking60
Über-Berserk

Laptops that do not work with Linux - Optimus

Postby viking60 » 18 Jun 2011, 22:51

What you should AVOID when buying laptop these days is Optimus. This Nvidia Hybrid graphics has two GPU's one intel for the small and power saving tasks and Nvidia for the power stuff. Windows handles the switch automatically.
Linux cannot handle it at all!!
There is the Bumblebee hack that will enable to turn off Nvidia to save power but you are left with a GPU that you cannot use.
There is a rumor that the new Kernel 3.0 will be able to handle it.
Hereby you are warned.

Return to “Hardware”