Microsoft SW X6 keyboard - numpad not working [SOLVED]

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Microsoft SW X6 keyboard - numpad not working [SOLVED]

Postby viking60 » 09 Feb 2011, 13:49

ImageI have this fancy Microsoft X6 sidewinder keyboard. It has this magnetic dock for the numpad so I can choose to have it on the left or the right side. Pretty fancy and it all has worked just fine in Mandriva Linux and in win. But the latest Mandriva seems to have fubared my numpad. Why after years of working :f
So gurus what can I do about this? Any setting in keyboarddrake that is good? (it is generic 105 today)
In fact it looks like the numlock is not working; the enter and "+" works
Numlock deamon is set to run at boot :think:
Edit:
I just checked in xfce4 and it all works just fine there so this seems to be Gnome related. :shock: Boy this is not going to be easy to sort out :coffee_cup:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Microsoft sidewinder X6 keyboard - not working anymore

Postby dedanna1029 » 09 Feb 2011, 17:57

Just out of curiosity, what's it set to in System-->Preferences-->Keyboard-->Layouts-->Keyboard model?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 09 Feb 2011, 19:34

As I said: Generic 105-key (Intl) PC
It works in KDE and Xfce4.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 09 Feb 2011, 19:58

In Gnome? Or MCC? I meant that in Gnome's System menu.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 10 Feb 2011, 02:12

Yes I know what you mean (I think) - it is also referred to as drakkeyboard. I just started it via the terminal. I will have a look when I get back to Gnome I am in KDE (task-kde minimal) and that looks good too....
And no luck i have tried a lot there.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 03 Mar 2011, 11:40

Aha I solved it. It really was bugging me that my numeric keyboard worked on everything BUT Gnome. I think I found the reason too - it's called Gizmo:
:A

This guy must have managed to push the combination CTRL SHIFT+ Num Lock. He is very intelligent, because I did not know about that combo turning on and of the Numpad in Gnome :confused
If you press CTRL SHIFT + Num Lock you can toggle the numpad on or off. Now I know :idea:

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Microsoft SW X6 keyboard - numpad not working [SOLVED]

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Mar 2011, 18:33

Well, kitties are good for more than one thing, y'know. :)

That's where I was trying to get you to play was in Gnome, boss, drakekeyboard is the MCC keyboard tool, not Gnome's. You needed to play in Gnome. Lookie here. Follow the cursor in a couple of these (this is from Fedora):

Image Image

Image Image

You can also find these in Gnome's Control Center. It's the first thing I turn on in the Gnome menu right after an install (it doesn't display in the menu by default; might behoove you to use Alacarte and find it under the Gnome "System" menu, and tick it so it will show there):

You can change that keyboard combo to turn on numlock to the numlock key if you want, whatever, right there in Keyboard Preferences.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 03 Mar 2011, 21:12

That sure looks like a KDE control center to me. Anyway no point in starting the discussion after the problem is solved.
I still need help with that recent documents thing in KDE -Do feel free to help me there :whistle:

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Mar 2011, 01:28

Not being a KDE user, I'm sorry, I can't.

That's not KDE control center. It's Gnome's that I posted there. The pics clearly show where I clicked it up from, and how to get to these things (even if you don't have Gnome's Control Center going).

File it for next install, Boss.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Hardware”