New Samsung SSD

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

New Samsung SSD

Postby viking60 » 29 Dec 2019, 02:06

So my box is getting old and I like that since it is from before Big Brother spy time +1
So no pre-installed BB here but naturally the Intel CPU "flaw" will affect me as much as everybody else. That one simply made all computing insecure.

No VPN can change that :C

Still I like to replace parts instead of buying the "latest and best". So my disks are so old that I will now use them for backup and I have replaced them with 1 TB Samsung 860 qvo sata SSD.
:A

I did not have the cable so I had to disconnect my DVD to install it but I will get around to get a cable so I can reconnect the DVD (I need to run the Viking DVD from time to time and I like to interrupt the boot process with a boot to DVD before it continues to HD).

The technology has advanced so Samsung can store 4 Bits on every memory cell. This means that they can make larger SSD's so they are capable of replacing the good old HDD's.

Samsung 860 qvo is not the fastest but in my good old Sata setup it represents a huge improvement - so it is fast enough.
It simply is a good and fast alternative for everyone that wants to replace a HDD.

This SSD will work for 1.5 million Hours before it can fail - Mean Time To Failure - MTTF. That is good enough +1
(There are 8760 Hours in a year) :tux5:

Yes you can still only install the OS on the SSD and keep your data on a HDD but that is not a necessity (anymore).

This SSD is Linux compatible and EXT4 will pretty much take care of it for you.

Anyway I plugged in my SSD and hit Delete or F2 to see if my box had registered the SSD - no problems there :smug

Since there was nothing on it my system ignored the SSD and went on to the HDD to boot my Old setup which is Manjaro.

Since I have been Archefied some time ago and really like the Manjaro helpful approach ; I decided to install yet another Manjaro on the SSD to see I my box could handle two of them.

So I used the Manjaro Architect CLI install which is good because it never gets old since it downloads the latest every time.

Long story but in the end my system booted nicely into a fresh install of Manjaro.
I then mounted my Old Home and started copying to the new one. I still am in doubt how to do this best - so do feel free to give me tips.

I guess I could change the /home mount point of my new install to the old HD :think:

The SSD was pretty much as easy to put to use as any HD though so mission pretty much accomplished.

...and I can simply go in to my Bios and change the boot order of my disks to get in to my old Manjaro setup.
So here I am with two working Manjaro installs with good old Legacy Boot.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

gnuuser
Berserk

Re: New Samsung SSD

Postby gnuuser » 13 Feb 2020, 01:48

If installing an ssd in the system I recommend using a small one for the OS and putting your home, temp, and swap on another.
this method will keep the OS ssd working much longer as there are much fewer write cycles ( usually only those occurring during updates).
Im running a 250 gig ssd in my upstairs office machine and 3 tb of sata hdd.
the system runs very fast.
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 10 Apr 2020, 15:34

Nice tips there.
I use rsync to copy files. It's been getting slower and slower these last 10 years or so, but at least you get every bit of your files, and it doesn't seem awfully RAM intensive.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 16 Oct 2020, 03:00

I remember when the first ssd's came out
the pachyderm ssd was 250 meg in size and you needed a driver disk in order for windows to even read it.
but at that time it was a very fast access drive.
once we loaded the inspection machines configuration files we set the drives properties to read only and it lasted a good 4 years until the machine caught fire.
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

Return to “Hardware”