This, is NOT good.

News that do not fit in elswhere

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

This, is NOT good.

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Jul 2010, 20:22

Britain Plans to Decentralize National Health Care

Tens of thousands of jobs would be lost because layers of bureaucracy would be abolished.

<snip>

In a document, or white paper, outlining the plan, the government admitted that the changes would “cause significant disruption and loss of jobs.” But it said: “The current architecture of the health system has developed piecemeal, involves duplication and is unwieldy. Liberating the N.H.S., and putting power in the hands of patients and clinicians, means we will be able to effect a radical simplification, and remove layers of management.”

How is that supposed to improve things, with the cost of the unemployed from it? From what I understand, it's a damned good medical system over there as-is; it's one I'd love to see happen here.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: This, is NOT good.

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Jul 2010, 20:28

Also noticed this:
It would also abolish many current government-set targets, like limits on how long patients have to wait for treatment.

Do they have any clue what they're leaving themselves open to here? It puts the power into the medical agency's hands, in effect privatizing this very thing. Private cos. can wait however the hell long they want to!
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Jul 2010, 22:03

Removing layers of management sounds sensible to me though. Health care is an endless hole where you can pour inn all your money and it still will not be enough.
It is brutal and it is true.
New expensive technologies will be developed and no one has that kind of money. But there must be some kind of decent minimum IMO.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Jul 2010, 23:06

I see and understand what you're saying. I'm just horridly scared it's going to become another Americanized P.O.S.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 26 Jul 2010, 19:17

I hate to say it but I am true believer the Gov better stay away from any kind of business. Is ok to regulate but not to manage.

Were I live, the DMV is privatized, so the State does not need to manage those office and does works perfectly well. The only thing is regulated are the Traffic Laws and the Vehicle Registration. The service is provided by privately own offices.

Were I am from, they used to have some called Central Hospitals. They all got privatized around the early 80s since they were driving the Gov to poverty. Also that was a place to die if you wanted to use it, was free but also was lame.

No hospital can turn you down for care so either pay or no pay you still taken care of. All you are going to get is a collection agency. Gov care is no bill but you get Standard Issue Care. So is not good either.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Jul 2010, 21:17

Yep, and for those literally MILLIONS of us who have NO JOBS, and have "collection-agencied" to the tune of over some $35K USD, it's EFFING WONDERFUL, I TELL YOU. :f

I just LOVE being in dutch over this shit. It's great! Having my credit ruined, having what's left of my own sanity ruined, it's just GREAT.

MEDICAL TREATMENT SHOULD NOT BE A PRIVILEGE. IT SHOULD BE A RIGHT, WITHOUT HAVING YOUR LIFE RUINED.

Bite me. I'd rather EFFING BE DEAD ANYWAY.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 27 Jul 2010, 16:04

My wife is a Case Manager in a Hospital and she deal with medical insurances all day. The Government Health Care is called Medicaid and Medicare, the difference is one is for the elder the other for people that can not afford a medical insurance. The are ways to get away without paying a dime but you have to think like a crook to get it.

For example and I am sick of seen it all the time. People go to the emergency room and gives a bogus address, they said they are in pain and they use Methadone. Since they are on some nasty drug having lapses and withdrawals is not a good thing and you can get seizure so the Hospital takes care of them, regardless because they are afraid of a law suit and is unethical to deny a patience treatment.

I am getting tired of getting mail from a drug seeker at my house. Even I forward it to the Police Dept, still getting that junk mail. Even with bogus names. One of the idiots is in Jail already and still collection agencies sends notices to my domicile.

So people that understand the system beat it on daily basis.

Now, who picks up the tab?
The people that paid Medical insurances by over charging them.

rjoseph7777

Postby rjoseph7777 » 28 Jul 2010, 06:14

Perhaps with the increase in patients due to HCR, there will be other jobs available for those displaced due to streamlining the Healthcare system.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Jul 2010, 06:32

rjoseph7777 wrote:Perhaps with the increase in patients due to HCR, there will be other jobs available for those displaced due to streamlining the Healthcare system.

I'm sure hoping so.

Thank you and welcome, rjoseph7777! And thanks for the input!
No gods, no masters.

whatsamatta_u

Postby whatsamatta_u » 28 Jul 2010, 07:03

Over time in paper bureacracies, people extend shoots, develop relationships to do end runs around red tape - making the system impossible to ever fathom, developing expertise in what is essentially unskilled jobs. It's a system that's resistant to change, and provided job security for many, but ultimately, something like this comes along.

If it's any consolation, creating a single IT/Database standard system for Hospital administration and medical data will keep armies of IT and developers with lifelong job security though extremely stressful. And such a system will take decades to complete and will still require an army to support it. In the meanwhile, the canny paper-pushers will still be needed, and may have time to find other employment when the economy hits the next boom cycle.

But this endeavor is necessary, and will likely result in unexpected benefits, like managing your own health care from your home, getting a second opinion from across the country or globe, access to clinical studies. Freedom of movement from one health plan to another. The only question is, can it feasibly be done?

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Jul 2010, 07:22

whatsamatta_u wrote:The only question is, can it feasibly be done?

The $1M question I've been mulling over in my mind. ...

And, Welcome to you as well, whatsamatta_u! Have a great stay while you're here! You and rjoseph7777 both should find much to discuss. We have the Politics and Religion section of the forum, the Lounge, Music, and plenty of Linux/Windows/I.T. to browse and discuss! Thank you for your input as well! :)

If there's anything we can do to help either one of you, feel free to let us know! :)
No gods, no masters.

rjoseph7777

Postby rjoseph7777 » 28 Jul 2010, 07:36

whatsamatta_u wrote:The only question is, can it feasibly be done?

We know that the present system is unsustainable; therefore change is inevitable. HCR must be constantly adjusted for quality and efficiency.

Return to “General News”