Google docs shutting you out from your documents

News that do not fit in elswhere

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Google docs shutting you out from your documents

Postby viking60 » 28 Nov 2017, 13:18

We have been very skeptical to "clouds" before because a "cloud" is a server (mostly) controlled by others.
(..don't get me started on US servers with government intervention and gag orders).

So if the provider goes bankrupt or shuts down or experiences a bug you could loose your documents altogether.

This nightmare scenario has become temporarily true on Google Docs where people accessing their documents where denied with a message about violating Google's terms of service.

So your documents are not accessible which is very inconvenient for your major presentation in Congress in 30 minutes - depending on Google docs.

Or maybe more likely unusable in the class that you teach where all your pupils need their feedback from Google docs.

This was a bug and Google asked for patience while fixing the bug.

Let it be a warning not to depend on "Clouds".

Must run now to my presentation in the Parliament with the data from my local harddisk...... :tux5:

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Google docs shutting you out from your documents

Postby R_Head » 28 Nov 2017, 17:46

Cannot stress enough... Data safegurading is user's resposibility. :T

Return to “General News”