NYPD is throwing away 36000 Win Phones

News that do not fit in elswhere

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

NYPD is throwing away 36000 Win Phones

Postby viking60 » 29 Aug 2017, 17:27

Life is good when you live of tax payers money.
In New York the police department went for Windows mobile phones two years ago;
Now they are useless because the platform is dead so they have to throw away 36000 Nokia Smartphones with Windows.

This was fairly obvious two years ago too with Windows only having 2 % of the mobile phone market, but the NYPD spent $160 million and the Mayor Bill de Blasio declared it to be:
a huge step into the 21st century

So right about when the last phone was delivered they needed to be replaced.

The choice was between Android and Apple.

This time Apple was chosen in good "tax payer tradition" meaning that Apple phones are clearly more expensive than Android phones.....and slightly worse IMHO,

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: NYPD is throwing away 36000 Win Phones

Postby R_Head » 29 Aug 2017, 18:33

Funny Viking... the link leads back to the post :lol:

Anyway... the Gov Co are the biggest consumer of Apple and MS for the simple fact that they are "part of the Gov Co".

Is all a scam.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 29 Aug 2017, 23:06

:lolup some unintentional humor there..The link is fixed now (but it is still a link to "the post").

And the ones who dance the nicest to NSA/CIA/FBI tunes; gets the order.

Apple is American and can be instructed to anything by the US government. Android is not so easy; HW could come from Korea or China and Android is open source.

The lengths to which the US government are willing to go have been thoroughly demonstrated by the NSA and the FBI.

They were convicted by the extremely supportive FISA court - so it had to be really bad.....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 30 Aug 2017, 00:36

When I worked for the Gov Co many moons ago, Blackberry was the weapon of choice. Was and perhaps still, the most secure phone in the market. So much so, that was banned in Saudi Arabia :lol:

And they went from MS to Apple... jumping from the Frying Pan into the Fire +1

Perhaps is about keeping tags on the workers more than security :think:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 01 Sep 2017, 09:28

Latest:
Jessica Tisch is the IT consultant who apparently decides what phones to buy and she is very clear that choosing the Win-phones was both brilliant and cheap :A
The contract entered provided for the smartphones at no cost. It also allowed for the NYPD to replace the smartphones with devices of our choosing two years later, also at no cost.

So let me see if I got this right; The smartphones did not cost anything and they even secured that they could switch two years later - also at no cost - :confused +
Hmm sounds good..but...who chose to spend $168 Million on Windows smartphones then? Was it a gift because tax money are piling up?

Or is the definition of "no cost" somewhat different in the public domain? :think:

More here

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 01 Sep 2017, 12:07

Nothing is free in the universe.

Could be as simple as a PR campaign to use NYPD as a guinea pig and say Win Phones are the best. Also locked them up on the MS Ecosystem and a migration to another platform is costly.

I am more sneaky.... is to spy on the police force :twisted:

Return to “General News”