Vacuum cleaner will not spy on you.....

News that do not fit in elswhere

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Vacuum cleaner will not spy on you.....

Postby viking60 » 29 Jul 2017, 14:17

There is this smart vacuum cleaner - Roomba - sold by iRobot that will not spy on you.
:A
It will gather all your data - like the distance between your furniture and the size of your house/flat and the size and locations of the rooms and.....a lot more.

These data will also be sent to servers outside your home....BUT they will never be sold to others...says the Roomba CEO... :snooty:

So even if Roomba is gathering more data than dirt these days you can rest assured that no one will ever look at those data.

Roomba is fairly proud of the Mapping that the iRobot can do these days, as opposed to other "stupid" vacuum cleaners and believes that the future lies in smart homing devices.

The investors seem to agree and send loads on money to Roomba.

Given iRobots experience; you can rest assured that the robots will be just fine since they also have delivered Bomb disposal robots for the US Army.
(as if the US government would ever dream of spying on you :snooty: )

Despite all this there are some ungrateful people out there:
One potential downside is that sharing data about users' homes raises clear privacy issues, said Ben Rose, an analyst who covers iRobot for Battle Road Research. Customers could find it "sort of a scary thing," he said.

Really? Can't they read? The Roomba CEO said the data will never be sold: what is unclear with that? :think:

Finally; it will be possible to avoid the Roomba sending all data to the cloud (it might not work very well then but you can avoid it..according to iRobot)

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Vacuum cleaner will not spy on you.....

Postby R_Head » 29 Jul 2017, 14:49

Read that report... interesting. I wonder how useful can be the info, on where your furniture is located. :think: Unless your house is going to be raided.

Personaly, I do not know anybody that owns one. Anyway... why the Roomba need to be connected to the cloud is beyond me. The Internet of things is needs to go.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 29 Jul 2017, 15:00

Well if I was a peeping Tom I would first check out Google maps to set the outside of the house and then check the cloud regarding the inside.
Of course this device can also monitor if you are at home - to avoid your legs while cleaning,

Then I would check your cars GPS when your are away every Wednesday at 7PM and compare it to the surveillance camera in front of the KKK, Hospital for venereal diseases, or Gay club to get final confirmation for my suspicions.

It is a puzzle and the FBI, NSA, CIA, Apple,Google, Facebook and Microsoft ++ are good at it.

I guess this is an important point:
In a world where more and more objects are coming online and vendors are getting involved in the supply chain, how can you keep track of what's yours and what's not?
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

cyntiabell

Postby cyntiabell » 01 Feb 2024, 04:39

Hey fellow forum members

I can't help but think about the reassurances from the Roomba CEO about not selling the gathered data. It's a relief, but as we've seen with other tech companies, privacy promises can sometimes be snake tattoos – decorative but not always trustworthy.

What struck me most is the potential of avoiding data transmission to the cloud, albeit with potential functionality trade-offs. I wonder if there are users here who have experimented with this and could share their experiences?

By the way, totally off-topic, but I recently stumbled upon this intriguing concept of For Her sun flower tattoo. It's a unique blend of art and personal expression. Anyone here have thoughts or experiences to share on that?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

cyntiabell

Postby cyntiabell » 13 Feb 2024, 07:07

Looking for Trendy Girls' Fashion Gifts ? Explore the latest trends and essay samples for inspiration. It's a unique way to combine style and education

Return to “General News”