Phishing attacks on your Google mail!

News that do not fit in elswhere

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Phishing attacks on your Google mail!

Postby viking60 » 18 Jan 2017, 18:32

Lately there has been an efficient phishing attack on Google mail.

Here is how it works.

You get a mail with an image or an attachment.

When you click it; you will be redirected to a login page that looks exactly like Google.

Here all your login data will be stolen and can be reused.

So to avoid this:
Do not log in on any page that pops up when you click an image or attachment! :hand:

On the status bar you will see accounts.google.com prefixed by :

Code: Select all

data:text/html

If this is the case dont go any further!

If you do; then your mails will be accessible to the hacker and they can pretend to be you!

Another way of avoiding this is to use the two step verification, but this requires you to give your phone number to Google and they do not respect your privacy all that much. I will not give it to Google. :snooty: but the procedure will prevent this phishing attempt.

more here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Phishing attacks on your Google mail!

Postby R_Head » 19 Jan 2017, 00:43

I never respond to emails like that. If that is the case, I login with the webpage bookmark from the site. Also, look at the URL, is the biggest clue. If is your bank or any other account, give them a phone call instead of using the email.

HBLEY

Postby HBLEY » 09 Mar 2017, 08:10

I don't think anyone can make a google account without providing his phone number now?

Google mail is considered as the most secure email system as compared to yahoo, hotmail, mail or any other domain.

HBLEY

Postby HBLEY » 09 Mar 2017, 08:11

R_Head wrote:I never respond to emails like that. If that is the case, I login with the webpage bookmark from the site. Also, look at the URL, is the biggest clue. If is your bank or any other account, give them a phone call instead of using the email.

Best way! Couldn't agree more

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Jun 2017, 21:28

Mine is without my phone number...
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 18 Jun 2017, 04:35

You just don't sign up for two-step verification, is what it is. Just use an alternate email address for in case you lose your password. I have a very strong password for it, always have. I will not give google jack sh** for personal info, like my phone number or whatever.
I have never been phished, hacked, or otherwise compromised with google mail, and probably never will be. I've known people in the past who have been the phishing, or have been hacked, or otherwise trojan-ised with GMail. This is the umpteenth time this that viking posted in the OP has happened, but see, people are just stupid. I know people still who think they can get away with rinky-dink four-letter passwords because they are that ignorant to the fact that they need to protect themselves.
I don't help people like this any more (except my elderly mother). I let them drown so they have no choice but to run searches on what's going on to try to diagnose the problem themselves. I find that they never forget it and have more respect for what you try to tell them about it, this way.
Unfortunately, this is nothing new, and won't be for years to come.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “General News”