News that do not fit in elswhere

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

R_Head
Berserk

Equation Group: The Crown Creator of Cyber-Espionage

Postby R_Head » 23 Aug 2016, 16:13

WHAT MAKES THE EQUATION GROUP UNIQUE?

Ultimate persistence and invisibility

GReAT has been able to recover two modules which allow reprogramming of the hard drive firmware of more than a dozen of the popular HDD brands. This is perhaps the most powerful tool in the Equation group’s arsenal and the first known malware capable of infecting the hard drives.

By reprogramming the hard drive firmware (i.e. rewriting the hard drive’s operating system), the group achieves two purposes:

An extreme level of persistence that helps to survive disk formatting and OS reinstallation. If the malware gets into the firmware, it is available to “resurrect” itself forever. It may prevent the deletion of a certain disk sector or substitute it with a malicious one during system boot. 
“Another dangerous thing is that once the hard drive gets infected with this malicious payload, it is impossible to scan its firmware. To put it simply: for most hard drives there are functions to write into the hardware firmware area, but there are no functions to read it back. It means that we are practically blind, and cannot detect hard drives that have been infected by this malware” – warns Costin Raiu, Director of the Global Research and Analysis Team at Kaspersky Lab.The ability to create an invisible, persistent area hidden inside the hard drive. It is used to save exfiltrated information which can be later retrieved by the attackers. Also, in some cases it may help the group to crack the encryption: “Taking into account the fact that their GrayFish implant is active from the very boot of the system, they have the ability to capture the encryption password and save it into this hidden area,” explains Costin Raiu.

Kaspersky Lab article link

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Equation Group: The Crown Creator of Cyber-Espionage

Postby viking60 » 23 Aug 2016, 23:55

Yeah that is a real problem.
The firmware is not open source so the HW producers can manipulate it as they like - we wont even notice - no matter what OS we use.

We have already reported that certain agencies have programs that do this.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Equation Group: The Crown Creator of Cyber-Espionage

Postby R_Head » 24 Aug 2016, 01:13

I guess the best defense is a firewall and be careful what data media you use.

My router has pretty much all the ports blocked except for a few that are common to daily operation.

Still, Gov Co is behind on most of the hacking exploits; the media says otherwise...

Return to “General News”