Edward Snowden is suing Norway

News that do not fit in elswhere

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Edward Snowden is suing Norway

Postby viking60 » 21 Apr 2016, 15:14

Edward Snowden has won several prizes for his contribution on setting focus on surveillance. Among other prizes; he has been awarded in Norway he has been awarded the Ossietzky prize for 2016 from the Norwegian writers association - Pen.

He gets it for showing respect for people's individual rights and for blowing the whistle on the massive surveillance.

All of these prizes cannot be picked up without Norway guaranteeing that Snowden won't be sent back to the US on the first plane.

Our Justice Minister has been evasive, when asked, and stated that it is up to the courts to decide.

So to achieve this Edward Snowden is suing the Norwegian state to make sure that he can enter the country to receive the awards with guarantees that he will not be extradited to the US.

His representative in the case is Pen.

It would be a great victory for Snowden if he can enter a Nato Country where the extradition is declared unlawful by a court.

The courts can act independently where european ministers can't - The US is simply to big and strong for any of them to oppose.
Besides that we do depend on the US in our NATO partnership.

An independent court that gives Snowden the necessary guarantees may be just the medicine to solve the gordian knot.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Edward Snowden is suing Norway

Postby R_Head » 22 Apr 2016, 02:58

I say.... Good luck with that.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Edward Snowden is suing Norway

Postby viking60 » 23 Apr 2016, 09:00

It will be interesting.
We have a situation where the US is leaning heavily on their European partners. This pressure, while annoying, cannot be ignored by our politicians, but the courts are independent.

If I have understood it correctly the US wants Snowden for espionage.

So they must believe that espionage is wrong and punishable then... . :mrgreen:

US courts have found parts of the surveillance that Snowden revealed illegal. So technically (and partly) the US wants snowden for having blown the whistle on illegal actions. :confused

That sounds like poor grounds for extradition and the courts may well come to the same conclusion.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “General News”