The FBI Demands backdoors in iPhone

News that do not fit in elswhere

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

The FBI Demands backdoors in iPhone

Postby viking60 » 18 Feb 2016, 00:12

ImageApple has assisted the FBI in every way to help fight terrorism:
But now the U.S. government has asked us for something we simply do not have, and something we consider too dangerous to create. They have asked us to build a backdoor to the iPhone.

Apple is opposed to this and naturally other governments will wonder "why should only the US government have a backdoor - I want one too".
It is the San Bernadino case that the FBI wants to solve by accessing iPhones.

It takes no genius to understand what this will do to the confidence of Apple's products.

If a backdoor is there - designed by Apple - then it is open for everybody to abuse including the bad guys.

The reason is the eternal national security and it always is opposed to privacy. "Something like this could have prevented 911" the FBI says; the flipside of it is that something like this also enables states like North Korea.

Apple is sure to lose business over this if the data can be up for grabbing.

Apple has shared their sentiments in a customer letter:
:A
http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

The FBI wants Apple to manipulate the software:
Specifically, the FBI wants us to make a new version of the iPhone operating system, circumventing several important security features, and install it on an iPhone recovered during the investigation. In the wrong hands, this software — which does not exist today — would have the potential to unlock any iPhone in someone’s physical possession.

The FBI claim that the software will only be used once in this particular situation :boohoo: --and Apple does not buy it:
The government suggests this tool could only be used once, on one phone. But that’s simply not true. Once created, the technique could be used over and over again, on any number of devices. In the physical world, it would be the equivalent of a master key, capable of opening hundreds of millions of locks — from restaurants and banks to stores and homes. No reasonable person would find that acceptable.

+1

Apple simply does not believe that all those efforts to make the phone safe should be compromised on purpose.

And the FBI tapdance around laws, Congress and democratic control.
Rather than asking for legislative action through Congress, the FBI is proposing an unprecedented use of the All Writs Act of 1789 to justify an expansion of its authority.

1789 must have been a busy year in the computer industry....

Apple states what privacy advocates have been screaming for a long time - and they say it well:
The implications of the government’s demands are chilling. If the government can use the All Writs Act to make it easier to unlock your iPhone, it would have the power to reach into anyone’s device to capture their data. The government could extend this breach of privacy and demand that Apple build surveillance software to intercept your messages, access your health records or financial data, track your location, or even access your phone’s microphone or camera without your knowledge.

The sad thing is that the government can already do all that; but they probably found and even older act for that - chilling indeed.

This standoff had to come at some point in time since Apple and Google have been going for tougher encryption lately.
The FBI has not been able to crack that encryption.

Google is supporting Apple in this case.
It remains to be seen if this will matter to the government.

Rumour has it that Apple is fighting in a secret FISA court, fighting a government order to make its platform more surveillance-friendly - and they are loosing.

This might explain Tim Cook's recent interest in privacy.

There is no evidence to support this rumor - as it wouldn't be since the FISA court dealings are secret.

More here
and
here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: The US Demands backdoors in iPhone

Postby dedanna1029 » 29 Feb 2016, 21:22

Oh, you mean they don't already have a backdoor installed as part of their systems anyway, and that they don't collect data on their customers? They don't cooperate with the NSA, GCHQ, etc.?

I'm sorry but I can understand them not wanting to do this. What I don't understand is them not wanting to do this when they do it anyway. I'm no happy camper with either.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 01 Mar 2016, 11:51

It appears that the FBI is not able to crack Apple's encryption.
That is good news for privacy.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 02 Mar 2016, 02:24

Good publicity for Apple.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 03 Mar 2016, 13:11

Yes and all that good publicity will be "gone with the wind" if Apple is forced to make a backdoor for the US government.

China, Russia and North Korea will surely follow that example.

Most people would not want a phone like that.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: The FBI Demands backdoors in iPhone

Postby dedanna1029 » 06 Mar 2016, 03:04

I'm thinking if Apple developers are really as hot sh*t as they say they are, they can come up with something designed for that phone, and that phone solely, that couldn't be used for others.

That's just me though. I have a huge lack of respect for both Apple and the government and am quite skeptical of both, so there's that.

Edit for addendum: I wouldn't be surprised if all this is nothing but a media circus designed to prop up Apple, and if none of what we're reading about it is true from the get-go, while behind the scenes they're working together behind closed doors and later on will blow us all away with it.

Mark those words for 5-7 years down the road. ^^
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

R_Head
Berserk

Re: The FBI Demands backdoors in iPhone

Postby R_Head » 06 Mar 2016, 17:44

I think is all a FBI fabrication to force the industry to do some for the Gov. Is a win win situation. Prop the terror meme, prop tge FBI relevancy and prop what they want all along; spy on all.

Return to “General News”