Wikileaks: UN will review the Assange case

News that do not fit in elswhere

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Wikileaks: UN will review the Assange case

Postby viking60 » 04 Feb 2016, 11:53

Julian Assange has appealed to the UN to review his case. They will make a recommendation that nobody has to follow but it will constitute a moral pressure on the countries involved.

Assange has been accused of rape and sexual harassment then the rape charges were dropped..and added again. It seems to constitute a rape in Sweden if a condom bursts and you do not take an HIV test.
He has on several occasions offered to be questioned in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London and when the Swedes finally did agree to this - the Ecuadorian authorities turned down the request because it was handed in too late - according to Assange's lawyer.

The UK have spent £15 million on keeping Assange in the Ecuadorian Embassy making this the most expensive rape case ever.
On the surface that is all it is - the UK and Swedish governments keep insulting our intelligence claiming that the leaking of Embarrassing data for the US government have nothing to do with this.
Another interpretation would be that the US government is sending a loud and clear message that if you mess with them you are going to suffer....

Due to the Swedish statutes of limitation all charges will be dropped by August with exception of the rape charge.

After the UN has treated Assange's case he has declared that he will give himself up to the British police if he loses it since his appeal possibilities are then exhausted.

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Latest : UN rules in favor of Assange

Postby viking60 » 04 Feb 2016, 12:14

The UN has ruled in favour of Assange!

Assange has been "unlawfully detained" the BBC reports.

Assange has made it perfectly clear what should happen in this case:
However, should I prevail and the state parties be found to have acted unlawfully, I expect the immediate return of my passport and the termination of further attempts to arrest me.

Assange made the request to the UN in 2014
In his complaint to the panel Julian Assange argued that living in 30 square metres of the Ecuadorian Embassy with no sunlight or fresh air had taken a "significant toll" on his mental health.

Normally the UN rules against states that are not famous for democracy like Saudi Arabia, Myanmar and Egypt. It will be interesting to see how comfortable the UK and Sweden are with it.

So far they have no comments.

The UK will probably have no problem with ignoring it and hiding behind the European arrest warrant.

In the case of Sweden - who take pride in ruling the moral high ground - it will hurt somewhat more.

Because it is Julian Assange that has the moral high ground now....

Maybe even the US will want to make a statement on this - even if they have nothing to do with it?

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Wikileaks: UN will review the Assange case

Postby R_Head » 04 Feb 2016, 13:56

I bet he will be killed. Arrest is too easy. Will be shot by some individual believing that did a favor to all of us.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 04 Feb 2016, 15:13

From a US point of view that might be desirable since he has published highly embarrassing material, but in terms of freedom of expression and freedom of the press it would be bad.
Wikileaks published the truth and nothing but the truth - and that is a crime ...and...

Opps.. I forgot :oops: that has nothing to do with this case - it is a pure and simple rape case. :liar:

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 04 Feb 2016, 16:10

I forgot to end my post with a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge". :twisted:

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Feb 2016, 18:23

As of some 54 minutes ago or thereabouts, he had not won yet. The reports are "UN panel to say" but we get a lot of turnabouts. I'm wary. He will be shot on site if he comes to the states. Our wonderful VP has said so.

Julian Assange is being 'arbitrarily held', UN panel to say - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35490910 (your link).

We must watch these things. I think he'll get his way but too many government agencies are out to kill him.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Feb 2016, 02:06

It looks like the Swedes are going to stay formal and claim that the rape case must go on regardless of the panels views.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Uncle Sam is telling them what to do?

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 05 Feb 2016, 12:57

Yup, and not just Sweden. :( One hour ago:

The panel's ruling is not legally binding in the UK and a European Arrest Warrant remains in place - meaning the UK continues to have a legal obligation to extradite Mr Assange.

Julian Assange should be allowed to go free, UN panel finds - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35499942

II don't think it's just Uncle Sam telling them what to do, although he is a huge part of it. There's higher than that after Assange. Our wonderful world rulers.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 05 Feb 2016, 13:28

K, partners and alies need to get on board with the program.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 08 Feb 2016, 09:45

The justice boss of the Swedish foreign department - Anders Rönquist - has responded to the UN-panel that Assange will not be extradited to the US.
..Because there is no such claim from the US in Sweden.

....And I am Elvis Presley :-D

Return to “General News”