Former NSA chief now against encryption backdoors!

News that do not fit in elswhere

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Former NSA chief now against encryption backdoors!

Postby viking60 » 08 Oct 2015, 12:22

Former NSA chief Michael Hayden has finally seen the light. He thinks the NSA should stop actively weakening encryption and stop asking for backdoors.
These are new tunes and would break with the offensive strategy the NSA has pursued so far.

The US is “better served by stronger encryption, rather than baking in weaker encryption.”

This will strengthen the defense rather than the US favored offense.

The American companies that are market leaders in IT are all suffering from the lack of trust from "foreigners" because they might well be ordered to supply them with backdoor infested soft and hardware.

Given the fact that the US navy created Tor for security reasons and then spent the next nears cursing Tor because others were using it; this would mean a return to the starting point.

Simply making computing secure.

Hayden is on heavy collision course with the FBI who have the completely opposite take on this issue.
This is surprising because current leadership in the Department of Defense and at the FBI has strongly advocated the opposite position. In July, Hayden already hinted that he didn’t support the FBI’s push for backdoors, but he came strongly against it on Tuesday.

And he goes further:
“I would not support [FBI] Director [James] Comey’s demands for access.”
:s

About time +1
It is a bit tragic that only the "formers" see the light though. The active ones are still strongly supporting the offense by the looks of it.
The current NSA director, Adm. Mike Rogers is more or less sharing the FBI's concerns.

So It is a small step for privacy but a giant leap for Michael Hayden....
More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Former NSA chief now against encryption backdoors!

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Dec 2015, 21:22

Unfortunately currents can't talk about in-depth enough to support their position, whatever it is. Currents are also going to say they support it, whether it's a lie or not - they don't want to lose their jobs.

I am not prone to be supportive of a past NSA employee's position, whatever it is, because after they've been off the job, what good has it done to state a position at all? It's not changing anything and this backdoor stuff needs to be changed.

People like Snowden are more heroic to me because they began releasing these things while they were still on the job with the NSA, and they are (albeit slowly) changing things. Hayden, what is he really doing about it? Is he working to change it or just spouting off about it?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Former NSA chief now against encryption backdoors!

Postby R_Head » 04 Dec 2015, 22:19

I say, Snow boy is See Eye Aye and that is why he is Russia. He would be eliminated if they wanted to. He is a product of 2 agencies fighting for funding. The See Eye Aye wants the No Such Agency gig and that is why the keep slinging fecal matter to each others.

Heck, that guy will be dead and forgotten by now if they want it to.

Return to “General News”