Spotify will collect everything from your phone!

News that do not fit in elswhere

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 21 Aug 2015, 18:01

Spotify have just changed their privacy policy.
As of now you accept that everything on your phone gets collected including your contacts - and it can be shared with others! :f :berserk2 :berserkf

In other words: Spotify wants you to accept that they can spy on you in every way imaginable.

Local regulations may demand that you ask your friends and contacts if this is OK since you will be sharing info about them too, but Spotify could not care less. That is your problem!

Music streaming market leader Spotify has decided that it wants to know a lot more about you. It wants to be able to access the sensor information on your phone so it can determine whether you’re walking, running or standing still. It wants to know your GPS coordinates, grab photos from your phone and look through your contacts too. And it may share that information with its partners, so a whole load of companies could know exactly where you are and what you’re up to.

So they will be following you 24/7 and tell everybody what you do at least if someone is willing to pay for it.

These terms are shocking and a pure speculation in people not reading them.

Time to throw out spotify - and I do hereby declare: :S Everybody that has me as a contact are not allowed to share those data !

It is time to cancel all your connections with spotify - this is not serious business. :hand:

It can be convincingly argued that it is much better to violate digital rights than being part of a service that violates your human right to privacy.
Digital rights are not among the Human rights - Privacy is! +1

More here and here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Spotify will collect everything from your phone!

Postby R_Head » 22 Aug 2015, 13:17

That is why I have the bare minimum; not even Pandora. That one is a Roku box only deal, because is not going anywhere :lol:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 23 Aug 2015, 14:38

Where there is a trough ..Pigs will gather.

It is annoying that the smart phones allow this to happen. No technology should allow anyone to steal ALL your data on account of the fine print that nobody reads; but the smartphone does.

This exploitation of people's naivety and lack of knowledge is silently supported by our governments who see the smartphone as the best way to control us all.

That is the sad truth. There may have been some good intentions behind that originally, but those days are gone. Spotify's and the Industries need to protect Digital rights are weighted way higher than the Human rights - by our governments.

Piracy it's a crime ! By that I mean stealing everything those dependent Music junkies have on their phones!

That kind of behaviour should be criminal; instead our governments are setting the example...

Here is the Spotify Privacy Policy
2 Key highlights of what you’re consenting to

By using or interacting with the Service, you are consenting to:

the collection, use, sharing, and processing of information about your location, including any related interactions with the Spotify service and other Spotify users (as described in The information we collect);
the use of cookies and other technologies;
the transfer of your information outside of the country where you live;
the collection, use, sharing, and other processing of your information, including for advertising-related purposes (as described in the rest of this Privacy Policy, so please keep on reading!); and
:berserk2
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 24 Aug 2015, 14:44

Now days, making online purchases is mandatory to give a phone number. I never give my real number. There is no reason, just give the home address. That is plenty info.

Now days seems that is mandatory to have a phone number; to serve you better.

The piracy crap is an excuse to arrest you for anything. Just a technicality. Similar to Al Capone. No crime can be linked to him, so, they used tax evasion. On your case, if they want you, they can arrest you using a ring tone as an excuse. :T

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 25 Nov 2018, 18:21

F#ck Spotify anyway - they have other shady practices.
I once had a subscription (too expensive, $9.99 p/month), and "downloaded" a bunch of music from there. For one, you can only play the music you "downloaded" from Spotify, WITH Spotify (you can not play it with your personal player, for instance), and for another, after you've paid all that money, the music disappears (they remove it) the second you cancel your subscription. So, I gained nothing out of it, and lost a lot when I cancelled, after paying out some $100 all told. A complete rip-off.
Never again.
@kennethhall, you need to look at these things, too.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Annie_Yazbeck

Postby Annie_Yazbeck » 27 Aug 2019, 03:38

Wow, this is the reason why I don't use Spotify app on my iPhone but use Spotify Music Converter for Windows to download and convert Spotify to MP3 and other iPhone compatible audio files. :lol:
After that I can transfer Spotify files to iTunes and then sync them to iPhone for playback with built-in music player instead of using Spotify app. :greetings
Collect my privacy? No way!

Bella Gorden

Postby Bella Gorden » 27 Sep 2019, 11:07

Sure, Spotify may recommend your favorites according to your information. If you listen to Spotify music on your phone online or often use Spotify on phone directly, it can inevitably that your information may collected by Spotify.

However, you could use Spotify music converter windows to download Spotify music in advance and then move them to your phone. You could play them on other devices instead of Spotify. So, you could reduce the chance that Spotify collects things from your phone.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Oct 2019, 18:25

However, that doesn't help the majority of us who are not on Windows (most of us here, I mean, use Linux).
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

Alexi

Postby Alexi » 24 Dec 2019, 07:21

How do I transfer local files from Spotify to iPhone?
https://arynews.tv/en/ramadan-2021-calendar-for-islamabad

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 31 Dec 2019, 20:16

You can't - what you download from Spotify has to be kept with Spotify, and played only in Spotify.

P.S.: F*ck Apple.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “General News”