"Criminals trust in encryptet comunication is misplaced"

News that do not fit in elswhere

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

"Criminals trust in encryptet comunication is misplaced"

Postby viking60 » 08 Jun 2021, 10:18

The chief of the Australian Federal Police (AFP) was one of many police representatives very proud of the internationally coordinated efforts to stop organized crime.

Operation Trojan Horse; as it is called by the FBI has enabled Europol, FBI and AFP to monitor enrcypted communication for a long time.

This has prevented a lot of crime and saved lives. That is a good thing :s

Drug dealers, Trafficking slave dealers and other heavy criminals deserve whats coming to them.

However I feel a big BUT coming up......

The AFP chief put it like this:

The criminals trust in encrypted communication is misplaced

So...what about common Joe's trust in encrypted communication? Or the Industrial owners making critical products - can they be sure their research is safe?

Is safe computing possible for the non criminal part of the world?

In the official version this operation was a honeypot were the FBI ran the criminal app. If they in fact have found a way to bypass the encryption then National Security would forbid them to say so anyway.

Spectre and meltdown and other built in weaknesses in the CPU would potentially enable it so it cannot be ruled out.

In any case it is time to remind the police about something they tend to forget:

From the universal declaration of human rights (UN).

Article 12
No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

So dear police persons and agencies; please limit this to criminals only.

That is all we can do (ask nicely) - I'm afraid - since there is no doubt that they have the capabilities to intercept all of our electronic communication - whenever and wherever they want.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: "Criminals trust in encryptet comunication is misplaced"

Postby dedanna1029 » 07 Jul 2021, 03:53

I have known for quite some time that they busted encryption wide open, and I have no doubt that criminality is just an excuse. Here in the states we don't have the backup of the EU or its laws. Here, they just bust our privacy at will, with no thought of us even having privacy at all. The right to privacy is not even in our constitution; however, several amendments together kinda sorta spell it out. Doesn't matter. The Patriot Act drowns out and completely trumps the constitution.
You can see more about it (an explainer here), insofar as the constitution goes.
What the Patriot Act actually does (a 2015 article)
Patriot Act text
I have been so strongly against it all that I speak my mind anyway, and don't care that they care.
Our trust is definitely misplaced.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 08 Jul 2021, 16:10

Amen sister...

Yup, the dreaded Patriot Act that has nothing patriotic in it.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 08 Jul 2021, 18:37

Exactly.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 13 Jul 2021, 10:01

What they said :berserk2
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “General News”