Manjaro Mageia and Centos not booting in VM Topic is solved

Need help with your Linux distro? All questions are good - not all answers are -but we try

Moderator: jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Manjaro Mageia and Centos not booting in VM

Postby viking60 » 29 Jan 2016, 12:03

I have this strange effect after an update on my Manjaro host.

When I fire up Virtualbox and start Debian, Zorin or Fedora - everything is fine.

When I try to start Mageia, Manjaro or Centos then I get "Failed to open Virtual machine"
The device helper structure version has changed.
If you have upgraded VirtualBox recently, please make sure you have terminated all VMs and upgraded any extension packs. If this error persists, try re-installing VirtualBox. (VERR_PDM_DEVHLPR3_VERSION_MISMATCH).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Now reinstalling would make sense if all my clients were fubared but most of them work just fine - Even Windows XP!

I have tried to turn on and off 3D in the Display section without any luck.

The strange thing is that while standard Manjaro does not fire in Virtualbox; the openRC version does! That is the version without Systemd.

I am a bit puzzled by this.

Any tips?
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Manjaro Mageia and Centos not booting in VM  Topic is solved

Postby viking60 » 29 Jan 2016, 13:55

Got it! :jackpot

The Virtual Machines do create Hard disks in the shape of .vdi files - like Mageia.vdi. I backed up this file and deleted the Mageia, Manjaro etc virtual machines.

Then I copied the backed up .vdi files back to ~/VirtualBox/HardDisks/ (It would be enough to simply renaming the .vdi before you delete the machine)
I then created new Machines in Virtualbox.
Now it was only a matter of pointing the newly created machine to Mageia.vdi and Manjaro.vdi etc.

Problem solved.

In the case of Centos it was another thing where the activated USB2 did not work so I simply disabled it in the VM settings - and everything works there too :smug
(Edit: In fact I could check the USB controllers again after this summersault)
Why this happened in the first place is still a mystery to me though. :confused
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Manjaro Mageia and Centos not booting in VM

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 Jan 2016, 02:34

Wow. Good information there.
I would've said to go ahead and back up your virtual machines, then uninstall/reinstall vbox, but that would have probably been a very long way around.

Sometimes file corruptions can happen, or something conflicting, it could've been anything, really.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Manjaro Mageia and Centos not booting in VM

Postby viking60 » 30 Jan 2016, 21:11

I did reinstall Virtualbox but that had no effect on this. The strange thing is that half the VM's worked perfectly and the rest were fubared. :confused
I dunno why :confused

The virtual harddrives (files with .vdi extension) were OK too , and obviously creating a new Machine worked just fine.

Return to “Help”