Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 issues with Linux Topic is solved

Need help with your Linux distro? All questions are good - not all answers are -but we try

Moderator: jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 issues with Linux

Postby viking60 » 07 Oct 2015, 23:45

Yup - use it anyway +1
Those descriptions can vary a bit and be confusing. If it works it works.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 08 Oct 2015, 01:06

What gets me is why didn't it see the connection in the first place? Windows found it right off the bat, so did my Android phone.

OK, I'll snag the key and try Enterprise. *ssiiiigggh
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 08 Oct 2015, 09:15

is WPA/WPA2 Enterprise the only option you have? What other options are there?
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 08 Oct 2015, 21:44

I'll list them when I get home tonight. Am out 'n around right now. ;)

Update: WPA/WPA2 Enterprise is the only WPA option I have. I've just remembered that I did not update the kernel this time on this installation (I did two reinstalls yesterday) because of the btrfs-progs and os-prober thing (I got quite tired of fighting that), but I do remember that quite clearly, that Enterprise was my only WPA option.

Update2: I did get Mageia 5 fully updated today, but still no joy. It's doing the exact same thing when I try to make a connection via drakconnect. Shows no connection, so therefore everything is unlisted. WPA/WPA2 Enterprise is still my only choice for WPA. The rest is WEP, etc. I tried to take a screen shot of the list for you viking but of course, since the window was root, I couldn't get it into gimp or anywhere. If you have any ideas there, let me know

I'm at my wit's end. A huge amount of work today for nothing.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 20 Oct 2015, 05:41

viking60 wrote:Try Manjaro with the non GUI install - then you can have 4.2. There was an install problem that is supposedly fixed now

I can't even get that far. When I see this, I know my wireless wasn't found, and I was on a public wireless network today, no reason not to find it. If the hw was working with Linux, it would be WORKING.

Code: Select all

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ uname -a
Linux manjaro 4.1.8-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Sep 22 16:29:17 UTC 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[manjaro@manjaro ~]$

Code: Select all

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Host Bridge -OPI (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics (rev 09)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Audio Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP USB xHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP MEI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev e3)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev e3)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev e3)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev e3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI Mode] (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP SMBus Controller (rev 03)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 20)
04:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 840M] (rev ff)
[manjaro@manjaro ~]$

The Qualcomm of course is "Unknown" once again. :-P

This is from the live dvd. I won't install any more until I know that it will work. I've installed everything from the 3.19 kernel to 4.2.x. Nothing has worked.

I'm done. Tired of disappointment. This is the latest Manjaro, 15.09. It does not ship with kernel 4.2, but does ship with the minimum kernel according to the Mageia bug I filed that I need. I'm just ssooo fscking DONE. I'm tired of crying every time another distribution of Linux doesn't work because of the disappointment. I'm also done with Windows. I'm done with it all until something concrete breaks.

The thing is, for more reasons than one, I need Linux, with the wireless, I need it yesterday, and I'm just fckd. Just plain fckd.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 20 Oct 2015, 10:52

Just some more patience needed. the drivers are in ath10k on Git; they will find their way to all distros soon.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 20 Oct 2015, 11:13

That's also been said before about Qualcomm Atheros. It still has yet to happen. I still have yet to see it happen. It's not been supported by the kernel yet, and I noted that on the kernel bug (not Mageia's).
Atheros from other companies? Yes. Not Qualcomm. There's also always been issues with Broadcom. WTF is up with the "com(m)s", anyway?

People have been patient on this for some years now.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 23 Oct 2015, 19:33

Hey! We are *almost* there! :D

The last thing Thomas had me do at the Mageia bug was to enable Network Manager and Wait Online in boot, and disable Network, which I did do at the time.

Today, I had to get into the boot services, and noticed that Network Manager and Wait Online both were unticked, and stopped. I was like, "Wait, what???" so I looked at Network, and it was ticked! The settings hadn't stuck!

So, I started Network Manager and Wait Online and re-ticked them, stopped Network, and unticked it, and guess what? This thing now sees the wireless connections around me but sees my connection as WPA/WPA2 Pre-Shared Key. It's not a pre-shared key, so I'm going to report that but will try it anyway, get the encryption key from router.net.

Thanks for your patience with me - this has been very trying. I'm wondering what it will take to get the correct settings to stick in Boot Services?

Update: Except I'm not able to find the encryption key in there, only my password.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Oct 2015, 10:25

The Wifi must be set up in that router (wlan options or something) so that is where you can find or set the (WPA-PSK?) key or even choose the type of encryption. I guess you can completely turn encryption off to just test the connection too.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Oct 2015, 14:10

That's where I looked, it's where routerlogin.net takes me (got that from my ISP, I wrote it wrong above). The only thing in there, even in Advanced, is the password. I tried looking on the router itself too, it just has the SSID and password as well. No encryption key.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Oct 2015, 17:43

Is there no control panel where you can set up WPA?

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Oct 2015, 19:14

There are certain things we can do with it, wizards, etc., but nothing for these things unfortunately.

I'm going to wait on Thomas I think - I've posted the latest to the bug.

I can work with WPA/WPA2 Pre-Shared key, but the connection fails when I use it. I put the password in the key field (since in router settings it called the password "Key/Password"), but it's just not connecting. It sees the connection though.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Help”