Can not get back into Windows Topic is solved

Need help with your Linux distro? All questions are good - not all answers are -but we try

Moderator: jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Can not get back into Windows  Topic is solved

Postby dedanna1029 » 09 Sep 2015, 08:09

I've just come up from a dual-boot installation - Windows 8.1 and Mageia 5. I can't figure the Windows partition for the bootloader - I told it to add the Windows OS, and it hit the wrong partition (another partition that's formatted fat32 for the next Linux installation)
When I go to look at the Windows partition (the actual one), the File Manager won't let me because it says Windows is hibernating. Neither can I mount the partition because of it.

I've had this situation before, years ago, but can't remember what I did about it. Any ideas? Thanks!
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Can not get back into Windows

Postby dedanna1029 » 09 Sep 2015, 09:27

Never mind, I got it - I can mount it read-only... only.
I can't get into it - found it to add to grub, and Windows is reporting it needs to be repaired (I don't have the installation disk, except the install media I made for 8.1, I don't know if that would work).
I've mounted it read-only, am cruising a few things on it now. I'm hoping to get this repaired somehow - would the install media I created work? Dummy forgot to do the Windows boot disk before she went and did this.
When I try to mount the Windows partition fully, I get a message that it's hibernating. When I reboot and try to boot into Windows, I get a huge error message - and it says it needs to be repaired, the boot sector. *sigh

Thanks.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 09 Sep 2015, 17:01

Can not get back into Windows

..And what is the problem? :-D
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 09 Sep 2015, 18:29

When the BIOS isn't on UEFI, I get a huge error when I try to get into Windows with grub, that I have to repair the bootloader when I try to boot into Windows. I switched to UEFI, and it does scan and repair itself, but of course in UEFI mode, the Windows bootloader takes over, there is no Linux boot. When in Legacy mode in the BIOS, the Mageia boot takes over (grub), but I can only see the Windows partition in read-only mode. So, this lands me with having to switch the UEFI mode every time I want to go into another OS, which can't be good for the hdd at least.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 09 Sep 2015, 23:03

Looks like you will have to install Mageia in Uefi mode if you want to dualboot.

That control junkie stuff from Microsoft is not good. Microsoft's love for Linux is not groovy :snooty:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 09 Sep 2015, 23:12

I tried that first off - the disk got blocked. So, no Linux in UEFI, looks like.

There are other annoying things in Mageia anyway - I think I'll dump it.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 09 Sep 2015, 23:35

Yup - Linux is about choice so take what works the best. :tux5:

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 10 Sep 2015, 01:29

Exactly. :D :greetings
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 10 Sep 2015, 03:08

Here we go again. Mageia's going, now.

No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 10 Sep 2015, 10:16

Nice but I would switch places for those panels though.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 10 Sep 2015, 19:06

No worries. Mageia is all but gone now. openSUSE, since I couldn't be arsed to do Expert partitioning, decided to share /home and /swap with Mageia (I was really tired at the time). I have to go back and do the install again, delete both Mageia and openSUSE, and reinstall openSUSE so it doesn't share. It saw Windows, so I'm glad. I didn't have to tell it like I did Mageia that Windows was there. Very nice distro, btw, and it's not Microsuckified iike most think it is. I just have this same issue with it when I try to boot Windows with it. Windows bootloader is corrupt, but as little as I'll be in Windows, and as little as I already am in it, I don't see it any more as too big of a problem.

We can solve this as acceptance of limitations. I'll use the live Manjaro cd to delete partitions with.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 10 Sep 2015, 21:42

Here is an idea: :idea: Try to install that Windows in Virtualbox under OpenSuse +1
It should be possible.

:A
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2750
Then you install Oracle's Virtualbox.
In that you can install Windows 8 by clicking "new" and create a virtual machine that you call "Windows 8" - VB will then recognize the OS version automatically and picks the best settings for it.

To install Windows 8 in the VB you will need an Installation DVD; - a recovery DVD or a Backup of your existing system will not do.

After having successfully done that you have a complete Windows 8 "computer" within Linux.
You can communicate with your network and do all your Windows work there.

Return to “Help”