Root Partition is full Topic is solved

Need help with your Linux distro? All questions are good - not all answers are -but we try

Moderator: jkerr82508

R_Head
Berserk

Root Partition is full

Postby R_Head » 06 Jan 2015, 19:36

I did an upgrade from Mageia 3 to 4 and my root is 10 GBs. On my laptop is just 4 out of 10 GBs for the same OS. There is some from the upgrade that is sucking up all the space? I have like 225 MB left on the drive.
Last edited by R_Head on 10 Jan 2015, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Root Partition is full

Postby viking60 » 06 Jan 2015, 23:20

If I remember correctly the upgrade can potentially take a lot of space.

If you upgraded from a live CD then the entire content of the Live CD is also copied to your Harddisk.

Warning: Upgrading an existing install using a LiveCD is NOT supported due to the livecd image being copied "as is" to the target system

Is that what you did?

I am sure Jim can work some Magic here...
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Postby jkerr82508 » 07 Jan 2015, 01:29

If an online upgrade was done, it's possible that all of the packages downloaded are still on the HD. I suggest installing ncdu (it's in the repo's) and executing:

Code: Select all

ncdu -x /
You can then step through the file system and find out which directories/files are causing the problem. (Possibly /var/cache/urpmi/rpms).

Jim

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 07 Jan 2015, 08:23

hi,

where i has read it, I've thought [joke]Mageia Goes Microsoft[/joke] in comparison from WinXP and Win7 *lol*
humm, but in serious, the space of the Distros be evers more because the code it's every more and more.. bigger and bigger,
if you look Libre office, was in the past 100 mb or less, but now over 250 Meg .. kde .. 100 meg.. now more as 1 gig, if i am not wrong ..
so becomes all bigger and bigger and it's no wonder .. , if i look on my winnt (for reactos) usb-stick,
war 50 MB on times from XP now be more as 4 Gig ! and now not much more programms easy only bigger,
so goes all in direction more huge dimensions.
So we are nomore in the past, we are in the future.. Keyword data flood , and not alone the personal informations where goes in the Net, the programming and opensource makes also to be ever bigger and bigger any programming with .. and get more informations and algorithm on it as it was in the codes ..
instead it hold all easy and small and really fast running , so becomes all bigger and bigger ..

best regards
Blacky

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 08 Jan 2015, 00:08

jkerr82508 wrote:If an online upgrade was done, it's possible that all of the packages downloaded are still on the HD. I suggest installing ncdu (it's in the repo's) and executing:

ncdu -x /
You can then step through the file system and find out which directories/files are causing the problem. (Possibly /var/cache/urpmi/rpms).

Jim

I see the /usr directory has the bulk but not sure what to delete.

Here are the numbers...

6.9GiB [##########] /usr                                                                                               
    1.2GiB [#         ] /var
  270.3MiB [          ] /opt
  201.7MiB [          ] /boot
   76.6MiB [          ] /etc
    6.0MiB [          ]  dead.letter
    4.4MiB [          ] /root
   88.0KiB [          ]  .readahead
e  16.0KiB [          ] /lost+found
   12.0KiB [          ] /.dbus
    8.0KiB [          ] /.config
e   4.0KiB [          ] /srv
e   4.0KiB [          ] /mnt
    4.0KiB [          ] /media
e   4.0KiB [          ] /initrd
@   0.0  B [          ]  lib64
@   0.0  B [          ]  sbin
@   0.0  B [          ]  lib
@   0.0  B [          ]  bin
>   0.0  B [          ] /tmp
>   0.0  B [          ] /sys
>   0.0  B [          ] /run
>   0.0  B [          ] /proc
>   0.0  B [          ] /home
>   0.0  B [          ] /dev
    0.0  B [          ]  1

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Postby jkerr82508 » 08 Jan 2015, 01:23

7GB is not excessive for /usr if you have a lot of software installed, such as several graphical environments - KDE and Gnome as well as others perhaps, or several games packages. The only way to free up space would be to remove some packages.

If you have the same package selection as on your laptop, however, then it is worth exploring further.
In ncdu, highlight /usr and hit the right arrow key to see the directories in /usr.

It is generally agreed that the Mageia installer should create a larger default / partition than 10GB. Starting with Mageia 5 it will probably be at least 20GB.

Jim

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 08 Jan 2015, 01:26

If you highlight /var and press enter - what is the output?
Edit:
Do the Jim stuff first - I am shooting in the dark and he beat me with his post :-D )

And yes 10G is way to small for me, that is a small default I alway make / at least 20G
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 08 Jan 2015, 01:58

/usr

--- /usr -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        /..                                                                                                 
    2.2GiB [##########] /lib64
    2.0GiB [######### ] /share
    1.4GiB [######    ] /lib
  696.4MiB [###       ] /src
  430.9MiB [#         ] /bin
   72.4MiB [          ] /x86_64-w64-mingw32
   66.8MiB [          ] /sbin
   52.2MiB [          ] /include
   23.0MiB [          ] /libexec
  124.0KiB [          ] /local
   80.0KiB [          ] /doc
    8.0KiB [          ] /X11R6
e   4.0KiB [          ] /games
e   4.0KiB [          ] /etc
@   0.0  B [          ]  tmp

/var

--- /var -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        /..                                                                                                 
  771.5MiB [##########] /log
  215.9MiB [##        ] /lib
  172.9MiB [##        ] /tmp
   55.1MiB [          ] /cache
    7.6MiB [          ] /spool
    8.0KiB [          ] /db
e   4.0KiB [          ] /yp
e   4.0KiB [          ] /preserve
e   4.0KiB [          ] /opt
    4.0KiB [          ] /nmbd
e   4.0KiB [          ] /nis
e   4.0KiB [          ] /local
e   4.0KiB [          ] /empty
e   4.0KiB [          ] /avahi
@   0.0  B [          ]  lock
@   0.0  B [          ]  mail
@   0.0  B [          ]  run

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Re: Root Partition is full  Topic is solved

Postby jkerr82508 » 08 Jan 2015, 10:49

/lib64 and /lib look to be on the large side. On an upgrade, old library packages are not removed. You can check for mga3 packages:

rpm -qa | grep mga3
There should not be more than a dozen or so mga3 packages.
If there are many mga3 packages, most of the old library packages will now be orphans and can be removed:

urpme --auto-orphans

But be very careful to check the list of packages that are proposed for removal:
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Removing_packages

Some free space may also be made available by removing old journal files from /var/log/journal/.

Eventually, you should probably plan on re-partitioning your hard drive to create a larger / partition.

Jim

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Root Partition is full [Solved]

Postby R_Head » 10 Jan 2015, 20:53

Edited the titled thread as solved.

What I did was to free some space following you guys advice. Also, is "not" because my partition is too small. The fix for that is to make it bigger. For that, I am wating for Mageia 5 and will do a full root install and repartition the directory.

Perhaps, I might have to move the Home Partion to my my secondary drive (1 TB). The problem that I am facing is the WinXp partion reside on the same drive and the Drive is 160 GB. I would totatly hate to redo the whole Win XP install.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Root Partition is full [Solved]

Postby viking60 » 11 Jan 2015, 01:27

Great ! Always good when things fall in place.
When your problem is solved you can just click on the green "V" on the post that solved it. You do not have to edit the first post and type "SOLVED" anymore :-D
I'll do it for you this time.
:A

Jkerr is the guru so he gets the honor...

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 05 Sep 2015, 03:34

R_Head wrote:/usr

--- /usr -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        /..                                                                                                 
    2.2GiB [##########] /lib64
    2.0GiB [######### ] /share
    1.4GiB [######    ] /lib
  696.4MiB [###       ] /src
  430.9MiB [#         ] /bin
   72.4MiB [          ] /x86_64-w64-mingw32
   66.8MiB [          ] /sbin
   52.2MiB [          ] /include
   23.0MiB [          ] /libexec
  124.0KiB [          ] /local
   80.0KiB [          ] /doc
    8.0KiB [          ] /X11R6
e   4.0KiB [          ] /games
e   4.0KiB [          ] /etc
@   0.0  B [          ]  tmp

/var

--- /var -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        /..                                                                                                 
  771.5MiB [##########] /log
  215.9MiB [##        ] /lib
  172.9MiB [##        ] /tmp
   55.1MiB [          ] /cache
    7.6MiB [          ] /spool
    8.0KiB [          ] /db
e   4.0KiB [          ] /yp
e   4.0KiB [          ] /preserve
e   4.0KiB [          ] /opt
    4.0KiB [          ] /nmbd
e   4.0KiB [          ] /nis
e   4.0KiB [          ] /local
e   4.0KiB [          ] /empty
e   4.0KiB [          ] /avahi
@   0.0  B [          ]  lock
@   0.0  B [          ]  mail
@   0.0  B [          ]  run

One thing that I've noticed Mageia does. They carried over from Mandriva. One being a very old bug, that the logs were filling up root. Watch the logs, the /var/log folder is quite stuffed. Per and I were on that bug, IIRC MDV 2010. I'm glad viking brought it up; it will at times lead you to a solution, however it was your /lib64 folder that was stuffed in the end.

The other thing I've found when my root fills up, is that games have stuffed it - they are huge, even in Linux. If you have large games installed, you may want to uninstall some. I see the /lib or /lib64 folder blow up like a storm. /lib64/share definitely states this. I've seen it too many times (you have it stuffed too).

You may think also about using the urpmi method to upgrade; I would use it every time I upgraded (quite often, as I ran cooker more than anything) for MDV. Upgrade via urpmi, check to see the latest kernel installed, and do a second pass on the upgrade - sometimes files are missed.

Finally, I have no less than a 32GB / (root) normally when I do an install, so I have plenty of room to install what I want, test what I want, and let the system fully do its thing (this has been especially with MDV and Mageia both - I also use it for Arch). As you said, you can't do that right now, but think hard about it for next time. I know people who say as a rule of thumb, no less than 5% of the entire drive.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Help”