Linux safety against viruses Topic is solved

Need help with your Linux distro? All questions are good - not all answers are -but we try

Moderator: jkerr82508

zxlara

Linux safety against viruses

Postby zxlara » 02 May 2014, 11:38

Linux safety against viruses? I was on facebook, and I clicked a link that my friend at least I thought she sent. Buuut it turns out of course it was one of those virus things. Is my computer safe because I have Linux?
Last edited by zxlara on 05 May 2014, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Linux safety against viruses  Topic is solved

Postby viking60 » 02 May 2014, 12:10

Short answer: Yes

Long Answer: Nobody is 100 % safe if they act stupidly. It is theoretically possible to infect a Linux computer with a virus if you actively install it - from a third party.
If you stick to the repositories (which most people do) you will be fine.

Independent of this: Government agencies do tamper with hardware so it is possible to gain control over your computer via the Bios before Linux is loaded.
So if you are worried about Big Brother - continue worrying...

Regarding the safety of the Internet (as opposed to your computer) and Facebook in particular; It is not safe at all. Even if your computer is safe - the data you choose to put "out there" on Facebook and clouds are not safe at all.
Consider it public information.

There is one virus though that cannot be avoided and that will completely destroy you computer:
The anti spam virus - will have effect as soon as the spammer edits posts in forums to add links; and will turn your computers to toast.

.. But that is no big problem since it only hits spammers +1
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Help”