characteristics of cyber crime Topic is solved

Need help with your Linux distro? All questions are good - not all answers are -but we try

Moderator: jkerr82508

ishseena

characteristics of cyber crime

Postby ishseena » 10 Dec 2013, 08:45

What are some of the characteristics of cyber crime? What are some of the characteristics of cyber crime that makes them especially difficult to investigate and prosecute?
Last edited by ishseena on 14 Dec 2013, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: characteristics of cyber crime  Topic is solved

Postby viking60 » 10 Dec 2013, 13:51

Sorry mate you are listed here. So you will be banned.

As to your legitimate question I will attempt an answer for others to enjoy.

Characteristics of a cyber crime are money and money and money. I do not regard the occasional download of music and films as cyber crime.

The organized crooks are often using phone calls to trick you into leaving control of your computer to them. They find you via Google, Facebook and social media.

The Microsoft scam is "classic" - some person calls and claims to be from Microsoft support and says your computer is infected so you need to take immediate action.
Since you are so lucky this person will help you to fix it.

If you listen to this falls "Microsoft" you will have given the crooks remote access to your computer. He can do anything he wants but it makes no sense to simply destroy your data.

So the "professional" ones will probably encrypt your entire disk and claim money from you for getting the encryption key.
This money will be cheaper than trying to break the encryption or re-format and re-installing everything.

These criminals are often from Nigeria and India.

Other lucrative cyber crimes are sniffers that try to get information like creditcard data passwords and bank account data etc
Sniffer software contains its own network driver and buffer memory in order to capture a large chunk of packets. Modern sniffers are capable of analysing the captured packets and converting them into sensible statistical information.

PS since you will not be able to answer to this I will anticipate that this answer was to your full satisfaction and call this solved :mrgreen:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Help”