software engineering Topic is solved

Need help with your Linux distro? All questions are good - not all answers are -but we try

Moderator: jkerr82508

poonamaxiya

software engineering

Postby poonamaxiya » 23 Aug 2013, 10:24

What's difference between computer science and computer software engineering? i m interested in goin in one of these fields but i m not sure what's exactly difference between Computer Science and Computer Software Engineering, Can anyone please explain me what's the difference as much as possible, i looked in google search but still confused.
Last edited by poonamaxiya on 25 Aug 2013, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: software engineering

Postby viking60 » 23 Aug 2013, 11:26

This probably is a topic for b10 but I'll have a go:

Computer science is about how Computers work and are designed.
Of course this is pretty useless without the software to guide it so I can see how you have a problem with the distinction.

I guess that one topic that would be Computer science only could be the creation of biological components that lead electricity - or create electricity. That way you could potentially have self-reparing computers that need no traditional external energy source. Or computers that grows a bigger memory when it needs it.

Beware the cyborgs are coming :)

The Software engineering is more of using the computer to solve a problem.

So if you want your computer to calculate the components needed for an underfloor heating system and the mass needed - You would be software engineering.

Again you cannot do anything with the software without the computer - but I think the emphasis is a bit different.

I think... :-D
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

b1o
IT and IS Guru-Berserk

Re: software engineering  Topic is solved

Postby b1o » 23 Sep 2013, 22:42

Software Engineering will possibly lead you in the direction of MIS (Management Information System), and the process of developing software from an idea to a fully functional "completed" system.
Computer Science will lead you the IT route (More math if thats your thing) where you might rabble in creating your own compilers, learning some hex/binary programming, maybe some AI and developing new algorithms to solve complex tasks faster.

You can take Java as an example here: The software engineer will use Java to create business applications.
The computer scientist will develop new functions for the language itself (or possibly could do it)

but when all is said and done both paths can lead you wherever you want to go, it depends how interested you are in the subject.
I have people working at my office who took computer science, while others(+me) have more of a MIS educations in the lines of software engineering, and both are performing the same kind of tasks.

It also very much depends on the schools, it doesn't help having a degree in computer science if all the subject your university elected are complete shit, you'll end up knowing nothing.

sorry for the late reply, you have probably already got an answer by now
CPU: i7 950 3.1 ghz |RAM: 12 GB DDR3 |Graphics: Nvidia Geforce gtx 280 |motherboard: Rampage II Extreme |OS: Arch + windows7

Just remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, until you ask it

Return to “Help”