Which gnome-keyring to take out of startup?

Need help with your Linux distro? All questions are good - not all answers are -but we try

Moderator: jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Which gnome-keyring to take out of startup?

Postby dedanna1029 » 05 Feb 2013, 13:33

Gnome keyring in Mageia has become really annoying. Any time I'm in Gnome, for every single application I load, up pops this doggone thing wanting my password. I've never had this happen before, and I've never used gnome-keyring; there was never need for it. I'm tired of it, and normally this would not be an issue; I'd know what to do. I know I need to take it out of Gnome startup, but there are several entries for it in startup, and I'm not sure which to turn off, or if they all have to be taken out. Here's what's in Startup Applications:

Code: Select all

GPG Password Agent
Secret Storage Service
SSH Key Agent

Which of these is and could be in the future needed, and which (if not all) can I take out of startup?

Thanks!
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Which gnome-keyring to take out of startup?

Postby viking60 » 05 Feb 2013, 18:35

Gnome keyring is integrated with your user. But the trick would be to leave the Gnome Keyring password-less so that you are not "popped" all the time.
I stole this from Arch, it should works in Mageia:
Install seahorse it is in the standard repos.
It is possible to leave the GNOME keyring password blank or change it. In seahorse, in the "View" dropdown, select "By Keyring". On the Passwords tab, right click on "Passwords: login" and pick "Change password." Enter the old password and leave empty the new password. You will be warned about using unencrypted storage; continue by pushing "Use Unsafe Storage."
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Feb 2013, 17:52

OK, question on that then, will it not still stick up the popup wanting something to be entered (even if it's nothing)?

It's the doggone popup for it when I load proggies that's the real annoyance.

Thanks!
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 12 Feb 2013, 20:32

I am not sure :confused - so I guess you must simply try it.

I have dropped Gnome for Openbox.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 18 Apr 2013, 16:07

Well, I've taken every keyring-related thing out of startup.

Still, when I open things like Iron Browser, up pops the keyring dialog, wanting "password for Default". I'm debating on an uninstall of gnome-keyring with --nodeps.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Apr 2013, 16:16

The gnome-keyring might be necessary for some applications and login procedures anyway - so it might stay as a dependecy.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 18 Apr 2013, 16:17

So then there would really be no way to stop this?
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Apr 2013, 16:30

Well you need to know what passwords for what application you have stored in there I guess. It is really a good thing that you cannot remove it if you logging in to your bank depends on it.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 18 Apr 2013, 16:58

The thing is, I've never used it. Never put in a password for it, and when it comes up on Iron load, I click "Cancel" and it goes away...

If I haven't requested its use in any way, then I'm confused I guess on why it thinks its use is required.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 18 Apr 2013, 17:03

Samba shares maybe? I'd buy that if Nautilus could handle them.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Help”