rsync with ssh - not working Topic is solved

Need help with your Linux distro? All questions are good - not all answers are -but we try

Moderator: jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

rsync with ssh - not working

Postby viking60 » 28 Apr 2010, 03:44

I have successfully made my backups with ssh and rsync, to a disk on the server. Now I have changed the Linux on the server to Arch.
It backs up my home to a usb disk on the server.
This is the backup that used to work:

Code: Select all

rsync --delete -azvv -e ssh /home/thomas thomas@viking60-server:/media/B_disk/Backup

I get a stupid error like this:

rsync: failed to set permissions on "/media/B_disk/Backup/thomas/.VirtualBox/xpti.dat": Operation not supported (95)

If I log in as root I only get Operation not supported (95).
rsync is installed on both ends and I started the daemon om arch. Sure could use some help with this one Gurus :?
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: rsync with ssh fubared

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Apr 2010, 06:35

A .dat file (xpti.dat) is a Windoze executable, is it not? Would this have anything to do with it? Otherwise, I'm at a loss; you might check here and see if anything helps.

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13940

I really think the issue has to do with that file.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 28 Apr 2010, 10:59

Yes it is a NTFS disk. It used to work om Mandriva so the disk is ok an already contains "synced" data. It has nothing to do with virtualbox that is just one of the 100 lines. The error message comes for every line, for every item. I just presented one of them.
I wonder if there is a magic trick that makes the disk accessible for rsync again.
It might help to rsync to a fresh folder without synced data mabybe.....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Apr 2010, 14:01

Yeah, test that and see what happens.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Re: rsync with ssh fubared  Topic is solved

Postby rolf » 28 Apr 2010, 15:03

I remember working with the -e ssh switch when mirroring cooker to my box, some years ago, but not any detail. First, I would wonder if you have the necessary ssh programs on the Arch server?

[rolf@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa|grep ssh
openssh-askpass-gnome-5.3p1-2.1mdv2010.0
lib64ssh4-0.4.1-1mdv2010.0
openssh-askpass-common-5.3p1-2.1mdv2010.0
openssh-askpass-qt4-1.0.1-3mdv2010.0
libssh2_1-1.2.1-1mdv2010.0
lib64ssh2_1-1.2.1-1mdv2010.0
openssh-5.3p1-2.1mdv2010.0
openssh-clients-5.3p1-2.1mdv2010.0

Next, I would go to the manual (and I did! I did! :A ) My first strategy was to do a search, once man rsync is invoked:
  • Press forward slash, /, to get search mode.
  • Type ssh and press Enter. This brings you to the first instance of the search string.
  • Press N to move to the next instance.
  • etc.
In case you hadn't seen that one. ;)

I don't have netadmin knowledge so I can't parse the subtleties of that but this looked interesting wrt command line syntax:

USING RSYNC-DAEMON FEATURES VIA A REMOTE-SHELL CONNECTION
       It is sometimes useful to use various features of an rsync daemon (such as named modules) with?
       out actually allowing any new socket connections into a system  (other  than  what  is  already
       required  to  allow  remote-shell  access).  Rsync supports connecting to a host using a remote
       shell and then spawning a single-use “daemon” server that expects to read its  config  file  in
       the  home  dir  of  the  remote user.  This can be useful if you want to encrypt a daemon-style
       transfer's data, but since the daemon is started up fresh by the remote user, you  may  not  be
       able  to use features such as chroot or change the uid used by the daemon.  (For another way to
       encrypt a daemon transfer, consider using ssh to tunnel a local port to a  remote  machine  and
       configure  a  normal  rsync  daemon  on that remote host to only allow connections from “local?
       host”.)

From the user's perspective, a daemon transfer via a remote-shell connection  uses  nearly  the
       same  command-line syntax as a normal rsync-daemon transfer, with the only exception being that
       you must explicitly set the remote shell program on the  command-line  with  the  --rsh=COMMAND
       option.   (Setting  the RSYNC_RSH in the environment will not turn on this functionality.)  For
       example:

rsync -av --rsh=ssh host::module /dest

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 28 Apr 2010, 17:06

OK thanks rolf - I'll work it through step by step (I'll post every time I get confused at a higher level):
Step 1:

[thomas@viking60-server ~]$ pacman -Q|grep ssh
libssh 0.4.1-3
openssh 5.4p1-4
pssh 2.1.1-1

I will now install openssh-askpass - that could already be it....
trying to compile openssh-askpass. It should be a passphrase dialog for ssh (drop in replacement for x11-ssh-askpass)
Compiling... finished
Installing... finished
Rebooting...... finished
Pluging in my USB-disk.... It is being beautifully detected...

Starting the rsync from my thomas-pc to the USB-disk (B_disk) on my viking60-server via rsync and ssh....... :P

rsync --delete -azvv -e ssh /home/thomas thomas@viking60-server:/media/B_disk/Backup

As you can see it is looking darned good :idea:

Yes it works :!: Thanks Guru Berserk Image
But I encountered another problem - Well I open a new thread for that this one is solved. :s

Return to “Help”