A real help question, please?

Need help with your Linux distro? All questions are good - not all answers are -but we try

Moderator: jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

A real help question, please?

Postby dedanna1029 » 06 Dec 2012, 23:38

I'm trying to find a phonon-backend-xine rpm for CentOS 6.2 - the sound has crapped in KDE 4.6.4 without it (it's running on the gstreamer backend, which is all that's in the repos, and isn't working ATM), and I'm in need of it for KDE programs that I run in Gnome.

No matter what repos I enable, no matter where I look, I can't even find Xine itself, much less phonon-backend-xine.

If anyone could help me find it, I'd appreciate it - I did find it for OS "Other" at a couple of rpmsearch sites, but it has dependency "phonon", and xine-decode-ogg, which aren't in the repos, either (the gstreamer backend, I wasn't kidding, is all there is in the repos). This is getting a bit aggravating.

Thanks.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: A real help question, please?

Postby viking60 » 06 Dec 2012, 23:46

I can't find any Xine :confused
I only found this
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 06 Dec 2012, 23:52

Yeah, not surprised. That's all there is anywhere I go.

Thanks for trying.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Dec 2012, 01:14

So, what's the word on how to diagnose this? Sound works fine in Gnome.

No gods, no masters.

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 12 Dec 2012, 03:20

One of the tools I use to try to deal with audio is Pulse Audio Volume Control. /usr/bin/pavucontrol

When there are different audio devices, say headphones, more than one audio card, I might have to choose one and disable another in the Configuration tab. The profile might be digital|analog stereo, 4.1 surround, or another, depending on the sound card. The stereo duplex choices seem the most likely to work for me.

The other tool is alsamixer, called in console. Here, it comes up with a master volume control, corresponding to pulseaudio, afaict. To unmute and raise the volume of other devices, press F6 to choose the sound card to control. For me, the default in alsamixer is not my primary sound card, so I choose it with F6 and that can help me get things blasting.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Dec 2012, 20:19

OK, thanks.

I should make a correction here. In CentOS, it's not KDE 4.6.4, it's 4.3.4.

I'll try those (had forgotten about alsamixer). I'm hoping it won't get too much in the end of this. I'm debating on resetting ~/.kde, and see what it does.

In Gnome, the sound is fine, so I'm afraid to get into alsamixer and the pulseaudio control - it might change things for Gnome itself. Worth a try, though, I guess. I can always set it back.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Help”