How can set up email server for lanlesalon.com

Need help with your Linux distro? All questions are good - not all answers are -but we try

Moderator: jkerr82508

rolf
Guru-Berserk

How can set up email server for lanlesalon.com

Postby rolf » 20 Nov 2012, 15:41

We all remember the saga of setting up my GF's website, brings a tear to my eye. Image

Now, I am trying to transfer the registrar from domain.com to namecheap. One reason is price, another is namecheap's claim for transparency, which I don't feel I get from domain.com. The short story is namecheap needs to send an email to the domain/website administrator (me) and whois does not finish reporting the administrative email. They use whois to avoid some fraud, I guess. I was using a whois privacy guard, which sends the contact request from anyone using whois to find out where to report abuse etc. to a middleman service that shields me but I turned that off. Even before I turned it off, whois timed out or reset the connection (I believe it goes to domain.com for the data and domain.com is at fault for this error or intentional block of my attempt to go elsewhere).

I submitted a trouble ticket to domain.com and, a day later, with no response to that, I am on hold with who seems like a nice domain.com IT girl, who is working through it and just now elevated the ticket for me, so not done. She tried to refresh the whois record (I have done, myself, in the account web interface) but it is being blocked by some privacy element, even so. One option at Namecheap is to send the email to admin@lanlesalon.com or root@lanlesalon.com etc. and I thought to have root get a mail. I can ssh to the machine, running Hiawatha webserver but I don't see any configurations for email in Hiawatha. Looks like I might need some other software. Any ideas? :pray:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: How can set up email server for lanlesalon.com

Postby viking60 » 20 Nov 2012, 22:46

I might have some... Just have to check out that everything works here first and fix a huge (and all to common) Gnome/gdm problem, first....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Re: How can set up email server for lanlesalon.com

Postby rolf » 21 Nov 2012, 00:09

I appreciate your learned wisdom but take it easy. Now, I have opened a ticket at namecheap and they got back to me very quickly, manually giving my domain authorization for freedns. I also called the whois privacy company and, after that, it looks like the whois resolves with contact info. So, that logjam seems behind us.
Email processing on the server would be interesting, by and by. Image
:greetings

Return to “Help”