Moblin -help I don't get it

Need help with your Linux distro? All questions are good - not all answers are -but we try

Moderator: jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Moblin -help I don't get it

Postby viking60 » 17 Apr 2010, 21:08

Ok you have to help me out here folks. Everybody is hyping moblin - it's the new cool thing and I just don't get it. I have something like it on my desktop. It boots via Bios in 10 sek. And then I can send e-mail and surf. If I want something done I have to log in to a different OS= Mandriva -there is no connection.
So it is an atempt to turn my desktop into a cellphone right? :?: :?:
I just don't get it please explain I am sure it is me.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Moblin -help I don't get it

Postby dedanna1029 » 18 Apr 2010, 00:27

Sorry, never got into it. Never saw a need for it, so I can't help! :(
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Apr 2010, 00:55

Well we both are ignorant then - rolf :S HEEEELP
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 18 Apr 2010, 05:49

I thought Moblin was for netbooks. Image
Not much help, I'm afraid. I do have 'Express Gate' in my Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard BIOS, which sounds similar to what you describe: it boots in seconds, has a browser, but, faced with going through a whole set of personalization/configuration, again, I'm happy to wait for the full-on power of the Desktop, FTW!
ImageImage

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Apr 2010, 11:32

Yes if you only want to surf and read e-mail you could spend a million on an iPad or a cellphone or some other gadget. I remember the old Commodore64; it had every thing in RAM and booted in seconds.
After a while we started dreaming of a high tech thing called floppy disk. :D If there is anybody out there who can clear this up - feel free.
Until then Moblin is stupid. :mrgreen:

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 18 Apr 2010, 14:53

Moblin, short for 'mobile Linux', is an open source operating system and application stack for Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs), netbooks, nettops and embedded devices. Built around the Intel Atom processor, current builds are designed to minimize boot times and power consumption to create a netbook and MID-centric operating system. The netbook/desktop version of Moblin currently supports other chipsets based on the SSSE3 instruction set, such as the Core2 and some Celeron processors.

Read more...
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Apr 2010, 15:44

Ok -so it is for gadgets. Nothing for a computer in other words. Well I guess it is a fine thing to get Linux widespread. But when I say that, I mostly mean Computers not remote controls and "pads".

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 18 Apr 2010, 17:45

Yep, that's my beef with it. Although, I don't mind the way it's spreading for cell phones.
No gods, no masters.

Joste
Berserk

Postby Joste » 26 Apr 2010, 12:56

It all seems a bit moot to me since it is merging with Meamo (the Linux based OS on the Nokia N900 etc.) to form MeeGo. It look quite nifty to me but in certain situations. Might be good on a guruplug for instance for playing media over the network:

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/ ... splay.aspx
Past experience demonstrates best method to tighten bolts is to use appropriate size spanners.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 Apr 2010, 16:44

hmm I just remembered - I like gadgets :idea: And welcome to the forum joste :B U see if I can't sit in front of it with a keyboard and a screen then I am sceptical :roll:
But I do like music and gadgets that make things sound and look good. So I will keep this one under surveillance :D I am by no means in a position to conclude yet. :P

Return to “Help”