Tor setting help?

Need help with your Linux distro? All questions are good - not all answers are -but we try

Moderator: jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Tor setting help?

Postby viking60 » 06 Apr 2011, 00:00

try adding 127.0.0.1 and 8118
in the two top rows of your Torbutton extension
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 06 Apr 2011, 00:12

I get the http question if I do that. Like I said, it will ONLY work if I have it *just* in the sox proxy fields.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 06 Apr 2011, 00:20

Ok go to a terminal and run

Code: Select all

sudo vidalia
check for errors in the log.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 06 Apr 2011, 04:03

Vidalia automatically starts on login. It's always running. So, would I need to stop it first to run it as su, and exit it before I do that? It's in my startup applications. Thanks.

Edit: That's what I went ahead and did. As su:

Image Image

As regular user:

Image Image

Doesn't look like much wrong to me there. Vidalia/Tor have always started okay for me. *shrug
It's the rest that doesn't want to work (well, mostly just FF - Seamonkey's fine, and Iron's about 2/3 fine other than the logging out of here issue). Even FF worked fine 'til FF4 for me. I may just say screw it and downgrade it back. It worked before this update, torbutton and all (albeit extremely slowly). Am getting just a slight tad tired of messing about with something that should just work, and doesn't - If I didn't know this would bug the crap out of me and haunt me knowing there's got to be something simple here until I went back to it, I would.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 06 Apr 2011, 11:03

Uninstall vidalia. I dont have it installed (maybe a port conflict).
Edit:
I just remembered There is some confusion regarding the user in Tor (it creates the Tor user for some reason). It should be root. Your problem could be solved by starting Tor in a terminal like this:

sudo tor

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 17 Apr 2011, 07:06

Works fine in Fedora 14, although I have switched from polipo to privoxy. It just works. ;)

Full rpm-based distribution instructions here, I'll be back later with stuff for Arch (maybe). It's really best to get tor and vidalia both directly from torproject, and follow their instructions. I like my vidalia there in startup; no need to mess with su this or that. :)

So, I learned something tonight.

Edit: Lookie here, Boss, in FF in Fedora. NO torbutton, and...

Image Image

I just set FF to use my system settings in Preferences for "how FF connects". Of course, F14's version of FF is 3.6.16, but I do believe I'm gonna try this in Arch anyway on FF4.

Oh, btw, also, for Arch...
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 17 Apr 2011, 08:48

Lookie here. Just extracted FF4 to /home in Fedora14. Still, no torbutton:

Image Image

To dispel this myth as well:
viking60 wrote:Edit:
I just remembered There is some confusion regarding the user in Tor (it creates the Tor user for some reason). It should be root. Your problem could be solved by starting Tor in a terminal like this:

sudo tor

No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 17 Apr 2011, 12:33

Torbutton wil be there if you use the Alpha. I use it in Arch and it works perfectly. It looks like the standard button will take some more time.
And the "dispelling" is meaningless. I cannot see how that pic explains anything. Tor and Vidalia can still get in each others way on the same port, if you use TorButton.
Have you tried one of my (many) suggestions?

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 17 Apr 2011, 17:25

Yes.

I'd like to know however, why torbutton would be needed if your system-wide settings are set to tor anyway (which was the point earlier), and the browser is set to use system-wide settings, which are set to tor. Tor & Vidalia so far, using privoxy, haven't gotten in the way of each other, like using polipo did (of course, they listen on different ports, too).
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 17 Apr 2011, 18:38

No -You do not need the TorButton if you have it running elsewhere. It is a convenient way of shutting on and of. It is not needed as you say. But if you cannot get it working I would recomend going for the easy setup before you launch in depth theories about what might be better.
I don't run privoxy. It has been depreciated by the Torproject, so I have no view on it. On Arch my Tor setup is quite fast so I am happy with it. I use polipo and Tor + Torbutton in FF,

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 18 Apr 2011, 04:48

It's been deprecated by the tor project, when they give direct links on how to use it with Tor at the links I posted above?

Plus, when I installed Fedora's rpm from the tor site, it automatically brought in privoxy as a dependency?

Um,,,
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Apr 2011, 09:44

The Torproject switched from privoxy to polipo. But of course you can use privoxy: Whatever works for you.
From the Torproject site:
Step Two: Install Polipo for Web Browsing

After installing Tor, you need to configure your applications to use it.

The first step is to set up web browsing. Start by installing Polipo from your favorite repository. Polipo is a caching web proxy that does http pipelining well, so it's well-suited for Tor's latencies. Make sure to get at least Polipo 1.0.4, since earlier versions lack the SOCKS support required to use Polipo with Tor. You should uninstall privoxy at this point (e.g. apt-get remove privoxy or yum remove privoxy), so they don't conflict.

https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-unix.html.en

Return to “Help”