Installing the Arch server

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Installing the Arch server

Postby viking60 » 25 Sep 2011, 02:13

OK This is a sad:
The ArchServer project has called the time of death to Sep 2011. Old story good Idea - and lack of manpower.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Sep 2011, 20:12

So when I can get settled, let's get some manpower and revive it, eh? Nothing dies until you let it (other than natural life spans of humans, animals, trees, etc.)
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

The Arch server is back

Postby viking60 » 03 Dec 2012, 00:51

You must be related to Jesus or something: The Arch server project is up and running again I really liked the project and had that box going for quite a while (100 days or so).
The Arch server will not be rolling and focus on stability +1
I really liked the idea of an Arch server and I was suffering from the impression that Arch would make a real good server too, so I will give it a spin again.

How did those Arch server guys manage to start up that project again - without telling us - :berserk2 :S Fukawi!!!

Anyway I bet it is not easy these days to turn Arch into a stable server, so this should be interesting - and hopefully successful! +1

What is ArchServer?
ArchServer is a respin of Arch Linux, designed to be more suitable for servers.
What ArchServer is NOT

ArchServer is NOT:
a stable version of Arch Linux for desktop use.
released yet.
a system administrator. While it is aimed for server use, and may include some features to make life easier for system administrators, it will not do your job for you.
a pencil sharpener. Please refrain from inserting pencils into ArchServer.

I was really close to going for this one, all the way, until the last post popped into my eyes :shock:
If I cannot use it as a pencil sharpener - then they can... :arrogant:

On the other hand I see that their forum link is not working so it doesn't look all that good. :think:
I would be happy to give that project a section here of course....I guess it would be just my luck that they died in the moment I rediscovered them :Doh:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Dec 2012, 07:30

Boss. Install it. See what it does. The lack of forum isn't an indicator of a distro itself sometimes, but just an indicator of support for it. Maybe they haven't got it back on the ground yet - there may be plans in the works for it. The point is, the distro's back, which is a helluva good start. Go for it. You love it, so give it a try. What do you have to lose?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 04 Dec 2012, 09:54

Well the download does not work - so I guess they are dead again :wall:

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Dec 2012, 18:48

https://twitter.com/DedannaRocks/status ... 7959562241

https://twitter.com/DedannaRocks/status ... 2183599104

Sit back and wait... you forget, sometimes you have the greatest communications tool to people you need info from.

The mirror status page is a 404; the auto mirror page is dead, and the European servers (so far that I've checked) are down.

Aaaahhh, edit: Except for this mirror! :mrgreen:

Go get it! Keep in mind, however, that updates may be... "tricky" to get...
No gods, no masters.

fukawi2
Guru-Berserk

Postby fukawi2 » 04 Dec 2012, 23:04

Hi guys,

It was great to wake up this morning and see all your interest in ArchServer.

Unfortunately I have no involvement with AS anymore. I realized some time ago that I don't have the time to run the project, the skills to do it myself, and while there was a few very supportive people assisting, it just wasn't enough. After I announced that I would be ending the project, shadowbranch (http://www.archserver.org/index.php?page=team#sbnet) contacted me to express his interest in taking over the project. I transferred all the domains etc to him to host on his University servers. I know he had some personal issues not long after that (changing employment etc) but I haven't heard from him or seen any progress in quite a while :(

I'm as disappointed as anyone that it still has not progressed any further :(

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Dec 2012, 01:17

Good to see you again Fukawi! :greetings
AFAICT the timing for making a server out of Arch must have been very challenging. The Arch middle name has been "manual intervention" since the systemd transfer started. So the new guy has my sympathy.

We will be patient. +1

..and don't be a stranger - you are a server guru - despite all that modesty - so I am sure you can help us out during our frequent FUBARs...

Return to “Distro talk”