Open SUSE

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Open SUSE

Postby viking60 » 20 Sep 2011, 02:46

:-D It is not giving any more errors now. It is functional - sort of. I just don't like the functions. Webpin is fubared so that is simply not working. But Suse looks tempting and sexy every time. So I keep downloading it and testing it .... and I keep getting disappointed.
I see that Arch is about to bypass Opensuse on Distrowatch. That is very fitting IMHO.
And one thing is for sure.
OpenSuse is NOT a beginner friendly distro. Yes they do have control panels but they are rather confusing for a beginner. Mint Mandriva and even Ubuntu (uncertain about that Unity stuff) and Fedora are ahead by a mile in that department.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Sep 2011, 20:17

If Arch doesn't get Gnome 3 up to par for me, I'm going to go Debian testing and stay there.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 Sep 2011, 21:09

I tried Debian some years ago. It was perfectly fine and of course it is rock solid. But it is not cuting edge. Arch is bleeding edge and rock solid here on several different laptops. So I have found my favorite. Gnome 3 is perfectly fine. I doubt that it is that in Suse. Ubuntu is not my cup of tea but I think Mint has something going with that roling debian based distro. It has the control panel look from Suse. But that is ok I guess, because it is way easier to handle the repos.
We actually need someone from the debian side here too - so why not?
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 27 Sep 2011, 21:50

Yep, that we do. I'm going to give it a go when I get settled again, and may stay there, depending on how the machine runs then with it. Normally, my machine no likie deb distros.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Distro talk”