Arch Linux

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Arch Linux

Postby dedanna1029 » 25 Apr 2015, 03:51

That indeed it does!

I never got chance to try Manjaro but am not sure I want to. From what I've heard about it, it's similar to Arch but easier to install and use. I don't want it easy dammit, so may not go there lol.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 25 Apr 2015, 16:42

It is pretty much the same 'cept the install and that the Majaro dev team do the interventions that you need to do yourself in Arch.
So yes - Manjaro is easy stable and has just about everything - clearly nothing for you :-D

I have to admit that my Arch boxes are rock solid too - and do have everything - but there might be the occasional extra work depending on the mood of Allan and (God forbid :pray: ) if he is bored.

I have tried to advocate that he should place his boredom in my holiday so that I have the time to keep up - with no success :-D

The work he does is splendid though.

Arch has Pacman without a doubt the best package manager out there IMO. I have tried URPMI, Yum (pretty good !), Zypper, Apt-Get (Aptitude), and pretty much all there is and I cannot find anything that matches pacman in terms of use and above all in reliability.

Others may have fancy functions too but they have given me bad surprises - pacman never does that :snooty:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Aug 2015, 23:50

Agreed, pacman is best IMO too. In conjunction with AUR, wonderfully splended, even better! Speaking of which, they better still have my beloved kde Amarok 3.10 music player or I'll... Well, I dunno.

Anyway, I see the Arch Beginner's Guide has been updated to include UEFI mode. Good thing. I still have a lot to read to catch up. I bet there's some goodies in there.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 Aug 2015, 23:58

Arch is truly bleeding edge - you don't get more up to date than with Arch.
What Arch has today will be in Debian and Centos in 5 years ( well I had worked with systemd for years when those Debian guys started to quarrel over it).

It is a do it yourself distro - and therefor you learn a lot
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 27 Aug 2015, 00:28

viking60 wrote:Arch is truly bleeding edge - you don't get more up to date than with Arch.
What Arch has today will be in Debian and Centos in 5 years ( well I had worked with systemd for years when those Debian guys started to quarrel over it).

It is a do it yourself distro - and therefor you learn a lot

+1 Thanks!
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Sep 2015, 22:24

Time to rock 'n roll. Wish they had a live cd, but we'll deal with what we have. I do think we'll deal with a dual-boot first with Mageia, then test. Laters!
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 04 Sep 2015, 23:17

Well in the Arch world; Live CD's are for Greenhorns :-D
If you want a good live CD then you should go for Manjaro.

In Manjaro you can use the Arch Wiki but it is not Arch because they have their own repos.

If you want a live CD and use the Arch repos then Archbang is a good option. That is pretty much Arch with a live CD.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Sep 2015, 23:44

Yeah, I know. I'm just too anxious for my Arch back is all. :D
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Sep 2015, 23:46

However, I am going to try Manjaro I think. Where's the md5sum for it, boss?

Edit: Never mind, I got it. :D
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Sep 2015, 00:13

If you want a fast version without systemd then Manjaro has a good option in Openrc I have been helping out a bit with that. I am using systemd myself though.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 09 Sep 2015, 23:23

hhmmm... Now that I'm on an eth cable, this may be an option, but I'm going to wait until after openSUSE is installed,and install Manjaro on the third partition. Try updating it with the eth cable in, and see what it will do.

If it runs and cops my wireless after updates, then it's Arch time. I'm doing Manjaro and Arch last, because I want them to take over the bootloader, see if they cure the UEFI ills.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 09 Sep 2015, 23:31

I am not quite sure what you are trying to do here?

Manjaro and Arch on the same box? There is no point. Manjaro and Arch work pretty much in exactly the same way. Manjaro has some specific tools like the kernel handling - which is very good. But mostly people cannot tell the difference from the CLI.
So I would simply just pick one of them. The majority of my boxes are Arch but my main computer is Manjaro.

Return to “Distro talk”