Solus; new Linux distro built from scratch

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Solus; new Linux distro built from scratch

Postby viking60 » 03 Jan 2018, 17:05

I have been keeping my eyes on Solus and their Budgie desktop.

Solus is not based on Debian or som *buntu - it is based on Linux!

So this distro is truly a new one - let's have a look at it:

Solus is really easy to install with nice installer and obvious choices so every greenhorn will know what button to press. There is no need for further explanations.

I picked the Solus budgie iso which is the one to pick with solus..... because:

The Solus budgie desktop is really easy to handle. It is clearly Gnome style but without the "Oh no something went wrong" message.
When I say Gnome the budgie desktop has the look and feel of Gnome 2 and also the flexibility.

That is all I liked about Gnome before some self adoring developers tried to show Gnome 3 down my throat. I played along for a long time hoping for Gnome 3 to become as good as Gnome 2 ..and it never got there.

Gnome 3 has always been crap..period (Just my completely objective opinion).

Solus budgie delivers the functionality and the look of Gnome 2 without compromise. It does not feel like a desperate effort to keep old stuff alive for nostalgic people - it shines on its own,

The menu is nice and I can pin whatever program I want to the bottom panel. I can easily create new panels and add content to them - all done by easy to use control panels.

..And let me repeat it; this goes for complete newbies too... because it is easy!

The desktop does not come in your way like Gnome 3 does; no extra moves to make or buttons to click before you can actually reach your data.

So since the control panels pretty much are turn on or off some function (Gnome style) I was expecting for the entire enchilada to break down with the "oh no...." message but no matter what I throw at it - that does not happen :s

It is usable and good looking ..and surprisingly stable..real stable.
The package manager is eopkg and there is no man page for it. That is because you do not need it - you can use the "App Shop" to install and find what you need.

This brings me to the repos where other critics have expressed concerns that they are to small. I cannot agree:

I searched for qtox and found it (Mageia does not have it). I searched for Dnscrypt and Dnsmasq and they are all there, so I don't miss anything.

Should the need for special software occur then Solus supports snaps out of the box.

So if you need to install the brave browser you can simply type:

Code: Select all

sudo snap install brave

..in the terminal - that's it.
Yeah but snap is an Ubuntu thing and you don't like that? No problem - install Flatpack which is a Redhat Fedora thing :-D

Another advantage of Solus is that it is a rolling release so you will never have to do a somersault upgrade simple updates are enough and can be done from the App Store or with

sudo eopkg up

Normally stability is sacrificed whit a rolling release but this thing seems rock solid and stable.
Even if

eopkg check
..comes up with a few broken packages (gnome-control-center) everything works anyway (and remember Gnome is designed that way :mrgreen: )

Solus is rocketing through the Distrowatch list with good reason.

I think I would recommend this distro to a Newbie...and that is a compliment.

Pics and movie will follow...
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Solus; new Linux distro built from scratch

Postby viking60 » 03 Jan 2018, 20:16

ImageImage
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Solus; new Linux distro built from scratch

Postby viking60 » 21 Jan 2018, 13:32

It looks like Solus is in front on security too,
The Meltdown (Intel CPU flaw) is patched as it is on most distros. The Spectre Version 1 flaw is also patched here and that is not the case in Manjaro.
The lead developer in Solus comes from Intel - maybe he had some knowledge about it....

The CPU is the same but Manjaro is the bare metal install and Solus is in Virtualbox - that might be a different thing though. :think:

Return to “Distro talk”