Archmerge and Archmerged - the friendly Arch experience?

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Archmerge and Archmerged - the friendly Arch experience?

Postby viking60 » 28 Dec 2017, 02:31

There is a project that has the ambition to teach you Arch in a user friendly way.
Archmerge will install a fully fledged Arch and does not require much knowledge. Archmerged will also install in a very user friendly manner but only the minimal stuff.

So I decided to go for the minimal stuff because I don't need to learn how to install xfce4 and displaymanager.

I downloaded the iso and fired it up in a VB and it was very user friendly. I simply had to click and fill in the obvious.
There were absolutely no problems....unless you are norwegian :berserk2
I could pick english or Icelandic but not the global Norwegian - go figure.

Since there still are a few people that are not Norwegians I must admit that they would have a smooth install - well I did have it too since I picked English.

If you picked the Archmerge iso then you would have a fully fledged desktop, but I picked Archmerged which is for the advanced users so I had to install the DE.

So I installed xfce4 and xorg and lightDM with greeter and changed the locale by uncommenting nb_NO.UTF-8 UTF-8 in /etc/locale.gen
Then I did a

Code: Select all

sudo localectl set-locale LANG=nb_NO.UTF-8

That should take care of it. So to make a long story short.

If you want to learn Arch the easy way you can check out Archmerge and Archmerged

They just might have found a way to make the learning curve smoother.... :confused

My Install? I have a blistering fast Xfce4 with whisker menu and lightDM...that works just fine.
:A
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

gnuuser
Berserk

Re: Archmerge and Archmerged - the friendly Arch experience?

Postby gnuuser » 25 Dec 2018, 03:24

archmerge is now arco linux
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

Return to “Distro talk”