Fedora 25 is out

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Fedora 25 is out

Postby viking60 » 24 Nov 2016, 02:55

So now Fedora 25 is released!
Fedora is among the most important distros out there so it is always worth to follow and my experience with Fedora 24 has been very positive with a fully functional and stable distro over a long time span.

The big new thing is that Wayland is replacing X11 - it has been talked about for years and now it has happened, but they don't seem to be to confident about it:
Wayland now replaces the old X11 display server by default. Its goal is to provide a smoother, richer experience when navigating Fedora Workstation. Like all software, there may still be some bugs. You can still choose the old X11 server if required. After selecting the login user, use the settings icon to switch. But this newer display server is designed to keep up with the modern OS and hardware.

If you want to install fedora 25 from scratch this is the procedure:
To run Fedora Workstation, you will need:

Fedora Media Writer (download above)
A USB Flash drive with at least 1.3 GB space available
Fedora Workstation is provided via Fedora Media Writer. Download this program via the download link above and run it on your system, following the prompts to generate a live version (see 'What does "Live" mean?' to the right) of Fedora Workstation on a USB flash drive. You may then run the live version of Fedora Workstation from your USB flash drive.

Optionally, you may install Fedora Workstation to a laptop or desktop computer that has at least 1 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, and 10 GB space available. To do this, run the live version of Fedora Workstation from your USB flash drive on the computer you'd like to install to, run the Fedora Media Writer application, and follow the on-screen prompts to complete installation.

This sounds unnecessarily complicated to me. What happened to the good old burning iso?

Is that
Less setup, more innovation
? :?:

Anyway if you have a Fedora 24 install it really is easy, here is what I did:

Code: Select all

sudo dnf upgrade --refresh
to refresh everything and then:

sudo dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=25 --allowerasing

The alowerasing part is not manadtory but the Fedora will start whining about python and dependencies.

After that Fedora starts the upgrade process.

It all went fine and at the end I was instructed to do a:

dnf system-upgrade reboot

Doing that now....
This is probably the point where Fedora will honor its former tradition of breaking something (not so with Fedora 24 though) and I was urged to take a backup which I ignored of course...

If you use Gnome there is also a GUI update - but I am underwhelmed by Gnome 3 so I am using Xfce4 and needed to use the CLI.
I had other things to do than fixing broken Gnome extensions, but Fedora has spent some lines explaining that the Gnome 3 core is now changing less rapidly so the extensions will stay - that would be an improvement.

..and that upgrade is still running....
and
:drummer
:A
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Fedora 25 is out - using it

Postby viking60 » 24 Nov 2016, 04:22

The upgrade above went just fine.
In Fedora 24 I complained about VirtualBoxGuest stuff not working as it should but here it works just fine even if it complained a bit about xorg.

Fedora is making quite an impression and has been reliable lately and this update was smooth.

I can start working on my Xfce4 desktop right away - no negative surprises. Even the Yum extender (YUMEX) worked :B I am almost tempted to drop Arch for this.

I could tell you about how good it looks and nice fonts - but I won't. It seems that the virtualbox guest additions pulled the xorg.server so I guess I don't have Wayland - but I had to check with Inxi to notice.

I have no button to switch between X and Wayland so I guess that is a Gnome thing.

But Fedora 25 just works and has a real quality feel (first impression)!

I noticed that Firefox did not play youtube videos and complained about low speed, I doubt that since it works just fine elsewhere on the same computer outside the VB.
I installed and fired up chromium and there the graphics where thoroughly fubared. Not one part of Chromium was visible and lots of flickering!

Trying reboot....
That made no difference so it is time to remove Chromium. I guess Rome was not built in a day afterall....

OK I am angry with Fedora 25 now so I am going to be really mean to it.
I will install Compiz and when that breaks down inside VirtualBox I will complain about Fedora breaking things on purpose again :berserk2

So I installed Compiz and Fusion-icon and was able to switch to Compiz.
There were no working (GTK3) windows decorations so it was impossible to maximize or minimize windows so it is unusable.

To be fair this is a GTK problem so I searched for Emerald:

dnf search emerald

and found it! So i installed it

sudo dnf install emerald

then I started fusion icon and picked emerald as the windows decorator and....
It worked!
OK I am in a better mood now.....But I am still going to activate the desktop cube - that will teach Fedora 25 +1
But....
It works!
I can choose between the windows managers Compiz, Xfwm4 and Mutter with Fusion-icon and they all work.

Hm maybe chromium will work with something other than Xfwm4? :think:
Checking it out and...

Nope it won't; Chromium is going bananas on Fedora 25 that's the truth. ..at least if you are not running Gnome.

I might have to install Gnome to check out Weston and Wayland and see if Chromium works then.

sudo dnf groupinstall gnome

After it is installed I logged out and picked Gnome before logging back in.
That worked and Gnome looks pretty much as it was when I left it.
And Chromium goes bananas in Gnome too.

Time to remove Gnome then:

sudo dnf groupremove gnome

and that remove pretty much everything leaving me with a login manager and no DE :-D So I managed to break Fedora again :-D
That is no big problem since I will fix that with the viking rescue CD.

So far Fedora 25 is fine to work with if you do not need sound or videos and don't use Chromium.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Fedora 25 is out

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 May 2017, 21:32

I don't use chromium or gnome, so I will be fine!
Gonnae get it and install it!
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Distro talk”