Manjaro with new user forum

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Manjaro with new user forum

Postby viking60 » 01 Jul 2016, 00:21

The Official Manjaro forum is Discourse software. It is very "smartphone friendly" which means that it does not look all that good on a real computer. It has a lot of good features so one can get used to it.

But since I discovered that the forum is trying to read my browsers Canvas Fingerprint :berserk2 I started to really dislike it. Other people disliked it too - for various reasons - so an alternative forum was set up and might become the official one.

You will find that forum here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Manjaro with new user forum

Postby viking60 » 19 Jul 2016, 23:54

The Manjaro community has become split up on account of that new user forum. Some hated it because it was a "smartphone forum" others - like me - strongly disapproved of the forum collecting Canvas fingerprints.
Some mods did not digest me raising the privacy banner, well and even banned me and a couple of people that supported me before they lifted it after a few days realising their great FUBAR. :berserkf
The community supported me against that moderator who really did have a bad day.

Somehow the damage is done though.

That nice place where everybody were friends does not exist anymore. Sure there have been attacks from Arch against Manjaro but those attacks by the Arch lead developer were well founded and worth listening to.

I thought he was a bit to "caring" were the Arch community doesn't care to much if a poor soul asks "stupid questions" and is told to RTFM.

This was the strength of the Manjaro community; they cared and tried to help out. And then a new forum came along with a new unannounced policy that truly alienated a lot of members.

As I stated over there it would have been correct to: ask the community members first and then ignore them :mrgreen:

Somehow that nice community just eroded. Much of Manjaros strength comes from the community and while the distro is good it can be replaced by Antergos or Arch itself.

I kind of liked that Manjaro was European from a privacy viewpoint - and it turns out that Manjaro is probably among the least privacy minded distros out there.

Since it is based on Arch it is fairly good - but The Manjaro devs seem to be pretty unconscious of privacy issues. I have made Wiki entries and shared some tips but the motivation for that is kind of gone now.

Manjaro has three user fora now:

https://old.forum.manjaro.org/index.php

https://forum.manjaro.org/

https://www.spiralinear.space

That just might be a bit much.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Distro talk”