Fedora 23 following the tradition

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Fedora 23 following the tradition

Postby viking60 » 19 Jun 2016, 13:20

I updated my Fedora 23 today and noticed that Fedora does follow the tradition of breaking stuff.
Yumex did not work anymore.

Now this is not very surprising since Yum has been replaced with Dnf but there is hope.

I found yumex-dnf in the repos so I installed that instead. It does not remove the old yumex but you can do a search in yumex-dnf and remove it from there.
:A

I mostly replace yum with dnf when I use the CLI but there are differences under the hood
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Upgrading Fedora 23 to Fedora 24

Postby viking60 » 17 Aug 2016, 22:37

Have had it for a while now and it behaves surprisingly well. Fedora 23 is usable for actual work :shock:
Nevertheless I will upgrade my installation to Fedora 24 now ..... :pray:
This is all I need to do according to the marketing;

Code: Select all

sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=24

Good Berserks will also add the switch --allowerasing so that things don't stop (I just forgot; it so it will probably stop after two hours and ask me to start again....)

There are more that 1600 packages to be updated +++ the process is running.... :tux5:

So far it is a success - everything is downloaded and replaced and the keys are imported- So now I only have to do a:

sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot
and fetch a :coffee_cup:

..Upgraded over 1000 files ..some 2000 left to go...
and......
:drummer

That was pretty smooth!

Time to get that VBox Client stuff to work then.
I simply right-clicked the CD on the desktop and mounted it - then:

cd /run/media/thomas/VBOXADDITIONS_5.0.16_105871/

and then

./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

I had to log out and back in again but that pretty much toke care of it.

Fedora has become a real desktop! Yes ...better than Ubuntu (But probably not as good as MInt).
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Distro talk”