Upgrading From Fedora 22 to Fedora 23

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Upgrading From Fedora 22 to Fedora 23

Postby viking60 » 09 Nov 2015, 16:38

Since version 21 it should be pretty easy to upgrade Fedora.
Simply update everything:

Code: Select all

dnf update --refresh

and reboot if you have updated the kernel.
Then install the updater:

sudo dnf install dnf-plugin-system-upgrade

and run it:

sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=23

23 is the latest stable version that came out a few days ago but I could also switch to 24 (rawhide) if I wanted to test.

The upgrade is running now (1619 files)..
It downloads everything and tells me to run:

sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot

This reboots the computer and starts the upgrade. I am at 150 out of 31691 right now :-D so this could take some time.

I am following this
The update went just fine.
But the virtualbox guest stuff is gone and I don't feel like playing arround with it right now so I might test it some other time...
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Upgrading From Fedora 22 to Fedora 23

Postby viking60 » 24 Apr 2016, 10:46

I updated this install today.

More that 400 updates and all went well.

Regarding the virtualbox guest addition this thing simply does not seem to work in Fedora 23.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=306857

There is the tip to downgrade X but that defies everything that Fedora is about. There are also claims that this is fixed - but not so here.
I have it working in Centos 7 so this is probably Fedora keeping up the tradition with breaking stuff (It is a testing ground for RedHat.)

So I am stuck with a small resolution - other than that everything seems to be working well.
DNF seems to understand me just as good as Yum did - so I am happy with that. I guess most of the difference is "behind the scenes" but that makes me wonder; why not keep calling it Yum? :confused

Edit: Giving the VirtualBox Guest stuff another try there seems to be a patch so I install the entire enchilada just to make sure /inckuding the patch):

sudo dnf install binutils gcc make patch libgomp glibc-headers glibc-devel kernel-headers kernel-devel dkms

And it was only the patch that was missing so rebooting...... :pray:
Running the VBGuest CD script and get complaints about drag and drop, the rest is marked OK
..and no cigar. :wall:

This is where I leave Fedora 23 and check out other distros in VB....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Distro talk”