Fedora 22

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Fedora 22

Postby viking60 » 10 Oct 2015, 11:21

Time to check out Fedora again. This is an important distro and the development playground for the great big RedHat so it matters +1

I downloaded the net-install 64 bit and fired it up in VB.

The installer is OK but when coming to the partitioning bit it can be a bit confusing If you are installing over already existing partitions. Fedora 22 does not reclaim the space but reports the tiny space that is left.
This space is probably not big enough to install Fedora on.
You have to go into the disk and do the "delete all" and reclaim stuff - possible but not all that intuitive. Secure though; we do not want to destroy existing partitions by accident.

After that is done we continue and create root password and user without problems.

The Fedora installer recognized my locale, keyboard and timezone so I did not have to change anything there (I wonder if that is good or bad though :think: . )

Any way here I am waiting for the Fedora net-install to download the needed stuff.

The good thing about net-install is that it is very small and fast to download. The downside is that it takes time during install to download everything - but that should then be the latest.

I cannot say that I noticed anything different in the installation procedure since Fedora 21

The changes are mentioned here Looks like improvements in Gnome 3 to me. And I don't like Gnome anymore. :snooty:

To be continued.....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Fedora 22

Postby viking60 » 10 Oct 2015, 12:21

I rebooted when it was finished and was brought to a fully fledged Gnome 3 desktop in VB. In the old days getting Gnome3 to work in a VM was a tall order - this has changed.
The New thing here seems to be the user friendly software center with categories and recommendations.

I like it; it is easy to use and inviting to everybody from Greenhorn to pro. ..Well actually..programs like inxi cannot be found there but dnf will find and install it in the CLI.

I still find Gnome 3 to be an inefficient DE - but usable.

I installed VBox additions and went to the terminal to "yum" a bit and got

Code: Select all

Yum command has been deprecated
:shock:
It has been replaced with DNF :?: Yup that's Fedora - If you have something that works, like yum - get rid of it :-D Checking out DNF then....
..Aha DNF is a Yum fork so it is not all that bad:
:A
http://dnf.baseurl.org/2015/05/11/yum-i ... -live-dnf/

As we have established: Berserks don't read manuals so I simply typed dnf where I used to type yum and that seemed to work just fine. If I make an alias where I set yum to execute dnf I will probably not even notice the difference. But hey I am flexible: I can type dnf too +1

I did a

dnf list installed
and dnf seems to understand me just like yum did. I had no clue if that would work but in my head that was the sensible thing to write to list installed packages.
...And dnf agrees :s

So dnf understands me - as yum did. The reason for changing is that yum cannot handle both python 2 and python 3 and I bet that several package managers will meet that problem.

I think I can see small signs in pacman to that effect too.
If you are updating you may have to use a migration tool to transfer the yum db to dnf.

The only difference I have noticed so far is that my fingers are so used to yum and have to re-learn how to quickly type three new letters. And I am already annoyed by those Gnome 3 hot corner things...
The menus are lacking and are replaced with a system for children or smartphone users that cannot write but can recognize pictures.

It beats me why all the big Distros go for Gnome 3, but then again without them going for it; it would probably be dead. So much for my personal preferences.

In terms of functionality - it all works! +1

No errors and no problems so far.

Time to really test this thing then.
I will now install the heavily python depending Salt and see if Fedora 22 plays along....
(This is sneaky of me because Salt updates all distros by simulating their package managers like yum`- so how will it handle dnf?)

Well I install Salt but I cannot figure out where the salt-minion went so I wanted to start yumex to check it out.
So I typed yumex in a terminal and it was not installed - but I got the question if I wanted to install it :shock: and it fired directly after install :s that is nice.

...Back to that sneaky Salt test then. The salt and salt-minion install did pull yum as a dependency so now I have both Yum and Dnf on my Fedora 22.

And Fedora 22 works just fine as a Salt-minion I updated the Fedora install from my remote Manjaro without problems :s

So far Fedora 22 "just works".

If Gnome 3 is your prefered distro this would be a good one to install.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 10 Oct 2015, 15:07

I don't like Gnome 3 so I decided to install the XFCE4 desktop.

sudo dnf install  @xfce

Then I installed lxdm and I decided to remove gdm

dnf remove gdm

This wanted to remove quite some Gnome dependencies too and that is fine by me... so I hit enter and bam I had a black screen.

Ok reboot and log in on the CLI login without GUI and then enable the Lxdm login manager

systemctl enable lxdm

Then I simply started lxdm in the terminal and the GUI was back and I could log in to Xfce4.

That was fairly easy and I got rid of Gnome :-D Xfce is an efficient no nonsense DE +1 That is the one I like but that does not matter, in Fedora 22 they all seem to work.
:A

I really like the function in the terminal where I type my usual commands like inxi ncdu nano geany and they are not installed but the immediate install and firing of the program is offered (we don't have that in Centos).

The traditional stuff is there. Libreoffice looks good DNF is just fine - not much to complain about here.
Yumex works even if it is short for Yum extender -maybe it should be renamed Dnfx...

Normally at this point I would state that Fedora just loves to break stuff that works, and therefor not recommend it....BUT that is not the case here.

Fedora 22 is good. In terms of reliability and functionality it demolishes OpenSuse....Fedora 22 is that much better, so if you are an rpm person you can seriously consider installing Fedora 22.

I have installed and tested several versions of Fedora, and I cannot remember that I left any of those with a feeling that I could use it.

That has changed; this time I leave Fedora 22 with a feeling of really liking it. I am curious, there are news worth exploring. and it all it works.

Fedora 22 is a good distro.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 11 Oct 2015, 20:26

I had read up on the documentation they put out and it did look good. The only problem was it didn't have a needed kernel, so I went with F23 Beta. It's... "different" that's for sure. Anaconda had changed a lot.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Distro talk”