Debian 8.0 "Jessie" is out!

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Debian 8.0 "Jessie" is out!

Postby dedanna1029 » 25 Apr 2015, 20:10

Microsoft is celebrating even lol.

Systemd is now default
SSLv3 is disabled
Gnome 3.14 is default desktop

More here.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Debian 8.0 "Jessie" is out!

Postby viking60 » 25 Apr 2015, 21:21

Ah must check it out..
I cannot imagine that Gnome is better than XFCE though so I do not understand that switch :confused
I will se if it is possible to upgrade my Debian 7 but that will hardly be the case since they have switched from Sysvinit to systemd.
My Debian install is Openbox anyway.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Updating Debian 7 to Debian 8

Postby viking60 » 25 Apr 2015, 21:52

Well the classic update is :

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

So I did that and then I need to install systemd like this:

sudo apt-get install systemd-sysv

This will pull systemd as a dependency and provide everything I need - in theory....

I understand that this is serious stuff since I need to confirm with:
"Yes, do what I tell you"
I shit you not - If you even get the comma wrong; it will abort. So it is a big deal....
Sysvinit will be replaced by systemd...in theory.... :pray:
reboot and?
:drummer
It went like a charm!

Systemctl is working nicely but I am still on Debian 7 - I guess I will have to change some repos or something to get Debian 8.....

cat  /etc/debian_version

It is possible to "simulate" systemd and keep sysvinit by editing the kernel boot line but Berserk are not chicken so I went directly for the replacement.
Naturally you are supposed to back up everything too...if you are a chicken....

What I did though was to start aptitude in graphical mode by typing

aptitude
in a terminal.
It showed that sysvinit was orphaned and could be removed so I did that.

Now I had to do the repo thing so I edited /etc/apt/sources.list with Geany and simply searched for all wheezy and replaced it with jessie - and saved the file.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 25 Apr 2015, 22:25

viking60 wrote:I cannot imagine that Gnome is better than XFCE though so I do not understand that switch :confused

Default DE for Wheezy was Gnome wasn't it?
S.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Re: Updating Debian 7 to Debian 8

Postby Snorkasaurus » 25 Apr 2015, 22:28

Oh, and to upgrade the dist I believe you'd need to use

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 25 Apr 2015, 22:31

Snorkasaurus wrote:Default DE for Wheezy was Gnome wasn't it?
S.

I am not sure - that article states that it was xfce4 but I have a strong feeling that you are right here. I seem to recall that it was Gnome.
Snorkasaurus wrote:Oh, and to upgrade the dist I believe you'd need to use

S.

Remember this will now update from different repos.

Debian recommended to do a minimal upgrade first to avoid problems

apt-get upgrade

This is pretty verbose and tells me what packages are affected. The Debian guys are explaining everything and they are pretty verbose. To much for my taste today but fine for greenhorns - anf that is how it should be explained; so they are forgiven.
Then as you say

apt-get dist-upgrade

Doing it now - I will report back...

sudo apt-get upgrade
had a lot of information about packages and prompted me nicely on all accounts. It was evident that this was not a normal upgrade - and that my editiing of the repo file above was just fine.
Doing

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 25 Apr 2015, 23:02

Ahhh... according to Wikipedia the DE on Debian was temporarily changed to Xfce because Gnome would not fit on the CD image. In fact:

The default DE on Debian 6 (Squeeze) 2011-02-06 was Gnome 2.30.0.

The default DE on Debian 5 (Lenny) 2009-02-14 was Gnome 2.22.2.

The default DE on Debian 4 (Etch) 2007-05-08 was Gnome 2.14.

S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 25 Apr 2015, 23:27

Ah that explains it +1
apt-get dist-upgrade is still running here. I have a feeling that it will go through. I dont have a complicated DE like Gnome but I do have specialties like Saltstack and a lamp server with php5.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 Apr 2015, 06:56

The upgrade simply froze at the point where it installed new version of /etc/udev/udev.conf ...
So that did not go well.
Trying a reboot and see if I can continue from there.

It starts the boot but stops on "Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel changes"....
And there the boot stops. so basically this upgrade did not work.

Like Thomas Edison we have found yet another way that does not work :-D
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work

Trying to rescue this with our Viking MultiCD:

Rescatux does actually find Debian 8 so I Updated the grub config file - maybe that will help...
Still stuck with that...
Ok So I do have a Debian 8 install that does not boot. Grub is checked via our MultirescueCD and there is nothing wrong with it. It starts the boot and there the process is halted.
I have also mounted the Debian a partition with our CD and have access to all the files - but I don't know what file to play with :boohoo:

So this seems to be a case where we need a Debian live CD so I downloaded the Debian 7 liveCD with xfce (946 MB) and I will try that.

Maybe some "apt-getting" can bring this back on track....
No It is not possible to keep the data since I did not make a separate home so reformating and new install it is.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 27 Apr 2015, 09:28

viking60 wrote:apt-get distupgrade is still running here.

Sorry hon, if you're going to go that route (and I wouldn't for several reasons), then it's:

apt-get dist-upgrade

See the difference? You missed a - (dash).

I think you were on the right track to begin with, without that. IF the Mandriva forum were still up, I could show you why. I know why in my head, but can't explain it in words. I always do upgrades for any distro other than Arch of course, via command line.

Basically (and basically it is), the process is as follows:
Upgrade current version to the max. Make 2-3 passes on update to be absolutely sure you've done so.
Edit files (we had to do this with Mandriva sometimes when upgrading) to make sure the system *thinks* it's on the next version that you're upgrading to (trying to remember what one it was in Mandriva; the mandriva-release file?).
Edit the repo file manually to reflect the new version of the release you're upgrading to. Not hard to do, it will be obvious what to do once in there; it should be only a character or two for each repo line.
Then, you want to run:

apt-get upgrade

By no means run apt-get dist-upgrade, in particular since it was not recommended by Debian in this case. It is not necessary since you have taken these other steps for one.
Just because sysvinit was orphaned, **do not uninstall it at this time until your process of upgrading is finished as described as above and you have rebooted**. This way, if something *does* bork, you have something to fall back on. Install systemd at the last step BEFORE you reboot, if it didn't install already.
Reboot, and do another apt-get upgrade pass, that should get it.

Sorry Snork (really I am), but having done this many times, and I always, ALWAYS upgrade via command line, the apt-get dist-upgrade was bad advice.

And OMG viking, do NOT use anything graphical to do this. You can't watch what's going on as it upgrades for one, and for another, the graphical stuff is the first thing you'll lose, until the graphical interface itself is upgraded. Ditch aptitude.

Oh, there may be one very last thing you'll need to do before you reboot as well. Make sure the kernel is on the latest one, for the latest version you've upgraded to. This is important. Make it the default kernel, but leave the old ones as choices to boot to until you've rebooted completely, are in your desktop, and made sure all is OK.

FYI, if you are already on XFCE4, it should upgrade that for you. Debian 8 does indeed have XFCE, it's just that it's not default.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 27 Apr 2015, 10:05

Since dist-upgrade was running this was simply a typo here :-D I did get the command right.
The thing that might have broken it is that I did install systemd before the upgrade though. Debian probably have a lot of routines to make that upgrade properly, given the heated discussion regarding systemd.

My way might have fubared that.

And I did not have XFCE on my Debian I had Openbox.

Since I had to reinstall I downloaded xfce4 and installed that. It was a easy. It took a bit of work to get the Virtualbox additions going.
Adding repos and installing Salt was as easy as with Wheezy. So basically I only have to set up a Lamp server to have the same config that I lost.

I am used to systemd so I have no problems with it I do believe that the die hard Debian Sysvinit guys will come around in the end - although I do understand and support much of the criticism of systemd.

The point is that systemd has become so important that parts of it are needed even in systems that are not systemd based.
I have installed the handy whisker menu - it comes with nice "control panel" options and has an excellent Norwegian translation :smug

Debian 8 is still the worst translated distro in the world for Norwegians. This is surprising since Debian -EDU was formerly Skolelinux; and that was a Norwegian project.

Still: to say that the Debian 8 translation sucks would be bragging (It is worse than "sucks") :berserk2
So on a Norwegian desktop every other distro is better translated - and for the server guys it does not matter.
I don't care too much myself.
Anyway it looks good in Xfce4
:A

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 27 Apr 2015, 14:17

dedanna1029 wrote:Sorry Snork (really I am), but having done this many times, and I always, ALWAYS upgrade via command line, the apt-get dist-upgrade was bad advice.

I'm confused. Running

is not upgrading via command line?
S.

Return to “Distro talk”