Checking out Manjaro E19

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Checking out Manjaro E19

Postby viking60 » 04 Apr 2015, 13:47

I have been recommended to check out Manjaro Enlightenment so here we go.
I started the live CD and was presented with a nice login screen:
So I hope I can log in to this I guess the id and the password will be "manjaro"
after having entered "manjaro" "manjaro" repeatedly I finally got in and will now start the install...
There is a lot of flickering going on when I move the mouse, seems like the background/wallpaper comes and goes :confused
But I can manage..

During install my VB simply aborted... having another go
..and now I have problems loging in again.

Setting my VB to regular boot - not EFI...
Nope cannot log in :confused

fassil?

Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

fassil

Re: Checking out Manjaro E19

Postby fassil » 06 Apr 2015, 09:40

'LLo viking60,

Sorry for the late answer, i didn''t see this post...
I never used calamares with vbox, always "in hard" on a dedicated partition but i think you have to choose "other thing", the latest option & to simply targeted/formated the / & choose target for the bootloader.

I like simplicity, in example on my DD (mbr), i have 4 primary only like following: 3 different manjaro & one datas -> not /boot, /home in each system (with links on /datas for xdg-user-dirs folders), no swap (even no grub, but it's another story..) with 4 GB ram here...
I recently tested this iso on a 2 GB ram 5 years old netbook without swap in duallboot with seven (but with grub, here), & it works fine for a "normal/lambda" use.
I like also "lite-print" on DD, & once installed & cleaned (localisations), it's less than 2.5 GB.

Hope it works now for you

fassil

Postby fassil » 06 Apr 2015, 09:49

fassil wrote:'LLo viking60,

Sorry for the late answer, i didn''t see this post...
I never used calamares with vbox, always "in hard" on a dedicated partition but i think you have to choose "other thing", the latest option & to simply targeted/formated the / & choose target for the bootloader.

I like simplicity, in example on my DD (mbr), i have 4 primary only like following: 3 different manjaro & one datas -> not /boot, /home in each system (with links on /datas for xdg-user-dirs folders), no swap (even no grub, but it's another story..) with 4 GB ram here...
I recently tested this iso on a 2 GB ram 5 years old netbook without swap in duallboot with seven (but with grub, here), & it works fine for a "normal/lambda" use.
I like also "lite-print" on DD, & once installed & cleaned (localisations), it's less than 2.5 GB.

Hope it works now for you

Ps: At login, the best is to click on tux, choose enlightenment instead of system & type manjaro (I'm always in trouble with that, pfuuu..)

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 06 Apr 2015, 10:08

fassil wrote:
Ps: At login, the best is to click on tux, choose enlightenment instead of system & type manjaro (I'm always in trouble with that, pfuuu..)

I increased my memory and did that... so I am logged in now - Installing....and the Virtualbox simply shuts down - as before.
It looks like it crashes on the partitioning part.

I have the Live CD running though.
:A

Adjusting VB settings before I try again....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

fassil

Postby fassil » 06 Apr 2015, 10:44

You can also (if you have connection in Vbox) install gparted & prepared the target partiton with ;-)

I stopped vbox because i regurarly lost time because of problems owned by itself...

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 06 Apr 2015, 10:58

Ok - I used the Berserk MultiCD tool to format the partition to ext4.

Trying again...
Same problem :confused

I will now run Manjaro net install and set up E19 from scratch....

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 06 Apr 2015, 12:54

Ok I have got a working Enlightenment (e19) install now.
I installed reiserfs when setting up the net install.

Then I installed enlightenment, gksu, yaourt, lxdm, lxpolkit and xfce4-terminal + Octopi:

Time to start checking it out now - it sure looks good as Enlightenment always has....
This must be the default theme so I will now install the Manjaro themes...
Oh yes! This looks good +1
Sound works! Youtube videos play nicely and there is a default mixer on the taskbar. This all works out of the box after I have installed Firefox.
It looks like Enligthenment has come a long way since the last time I tested it.
Virtualbox client seems to work out of the box too so I can drag the size of the screen in Virtualbox :s
I get a bug error message when I drag the screen bigger but I can hit the option F1 recover and the new size is there.
Video coming up here (poor quality but you will get the idea):
:A

fassil

Postby fassil » 06 Apr 2015, 15:36

So bad -> calamares needs some dev for manjaro 0.9 realese...
But, i'll upload tomorrow a kind of "net-install" (but graphic with cli installer only) with E19, wifi support firefox & xchat & that's all (580 Mo). hope it'll work better...
Last edited by fassil on 06 Apr 2015, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

fassil

Postby fassil » 06 Apr 2015, 15:36

O_ops ;-)

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 06 Apr 2015, 15:49

:-D Yes it seems to be an installer thing.
E19 is still quite the "looker" it always has been, with some added functionality. I can understand why you like it +1

I will gladly test your new upload.
As you can see I get an OpenGL error after login - but I cannot see that there is anything wrong.
I also replaced lxdm with the mdm login manager it sure looks better:

fassil

Postby fassil » 07 Apr 2015, 11:35

'LLo,

The opengl error is only in Vbox...
I'm on the extra lite iso, but i've to rebuild it with the cli instead of calamares (& so it will finally be a kind of 8.13 without thus (too heavy), pfuuu..) :tux5:

Ps; Really nice, your login manager, background & all, infact :s

fassil

Postby fassil » 07 Apr 2015, 17:12

'LLo viking60,

Iso is up at the same place, its name is "netty", hope it works...

Return to “Distro talk”