SteamOS

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
b1o
IT and IS Guru-Berserk

SteamOS

Postby b1o » 23 Sep 2013, 22:26

I didn't know where to put this one, gaming or distro talk..
but here we are, Valve is developing an OS, or rather a Linux distro.
As Valve is a huge gaming company, we might see some development on the Graphics drivers for Linux, hopefully open to other distros as well, without needing some closed library of the SteamOS.
Gabe Newell talks very warmly about Open platforms, so with a little luck all the benefits of this "OS" will affect all Linux distributions.
I'm at least very excited to see what this project will bring forth in the future.

Link to the page here:
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/
CPU: i7 950 3.1 ghz |RAM: 12 GB DDR3 |Graphics: Nvidia Geforce gtx 280 |motherboard: Rampage II Extreme |OS: Arch + windows7

Just remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, until you ask it

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: SteamOS

Postby viking60 » 24 Sep 2013, 13:17

Great stuff

I guess this will be called the Steam-Box and be way more successful than the X-Box. And the business will be in the "clouds".

While I do not like clouds - I guess it is the only way to make money for Valve with an open system - so I can live with it.

They should make a ton of money and be rewarded for this great move.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 24 Sep 2013, 14:22

humm, why they are not more truth... why they are named not buymore - Ordering System so, Buymore-OS ,
and this with more clouds .. like on haven .. there a shop, :dance: there a shop.. eehh cloud ... :whistle:

some clouds be for trash.. for open source , because, with linux and Reactos can make anybody his own server..
and in germany become anyone a web/ftpspace with 60-100 Gig (~2$ per month) for store his own things..
and some cloud it is nothing else as a try to bring the peoples more in the commercial hand ..
and with the Cloud System it is nothing else to try for get the peoples more in an Virtual Live for
fold more money into the Industry , where mus make and buy any many things for build up an virtual live..
it is an wonder for , to be Facebook not on the users commercial, maybe a rent for the use of
a Fazebook-Account 1$ per month and for the users who want a bit more 20$
and if anybody live in the cloud, 300$ per month !

a nice day and many fun.. with falling out the clouds ... :mrgreen:
best regards
Blacky

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Sep 2013, 17:38

Yes but it is a good thing that Valve is contesting the Monopoly ambitions of Microsoft.
Making money is not a crime, the commerce will only become more fair with this setup.

I do share your skepticism regarding clouds though - it is something for others to control.
And Microsoft has a long term relationship with the NSA Valve does not - so your privacy will be better taken care of there.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 24 Sep 2013, 18:31

Valve, Microsoft.. :\ humm.. imho, both the same cr.. once bring commerce into the linux,
once work with NSA and takes from the people(overcharge prices .. with her's OS)
thank you, therefore i want i like more Reactos to use .. and if not yet can use, so maybe later, but this support for
an non Linux it is more important , before we stuck our money in there a.... of they are ..

The Steam-OS, if we are honest, it is a os in one part to the user for ordering not only the System.. the user same ..
We order you for you order by our an Product where you can pay..(/mus , because otherwise it's pirate and steal )

they are try to subvert the open source initiative , and this, see many peoples not, what's the only the Products
and have not real learn what's Open Source it is ..
oky, making money with support, helping and so on, but.. bring closed source into open source... you see ..
and started did it with Games .. because, no commerzial Game produser did not produse for an free,
because they are did not see for can making money with Advertising into the Games.. but other side..
what brings it, if make Advertising into the games, and use the Games money less if no one see the Advertising only as make the game more nicer ..
and at last buy the user not what it is Advertising in the game.. therefor gives no games from the commercial Game producers..
therewith what the was with Steam from Valve very intelligence , if you can bing the user not to commercial,
bring commercial to the user.. at first with gaming .. now.. maybe with an fully Ordering-System ..

Therefore should we are more Supporting our GPL-Brother in WinNT Style before we are supporting
any Commercial Game Producer with his lousy commerzial Ordering System.. i piss on such a strategy..
for taking an Commercial Producer for fighting to an another Commercial OS fleece Producer where
to use overpriced rates.. because, we should therefore support on GPL builded System on Winnt
for fighting again such hustler/dole-sponger .. and not also an .....ghhh... Steam-OS .. from an
commercial and money maker into the .. or try to skim off the open source people.. who not real know the whole peoples,
because it's with 2-6 Jears, really young and fresh peoples who be chic and modern to use opensource and an
other Ordering System as Microsoft one .. and this is this what i see..
the other side of the "shiny wonderful glitter wold" of Valve Steam (and not Cloud) Ordering system .. you see ..

best regards
Blacky

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Sep 2013, 19:20

I'm beginning to wonder if the cloud isn't more useful than we thought. My daughter keeps everything in the clouds. She has use of it any time she wants, and it takes no hdd space at all. She keeps nothing but maybe a couple of docs on her machines. Maybe a couple pics. There is a reason for that. The gov't is monitoring what's on our hdds and what we download to them. They listen directly to our computers and what they are doing. In the clouds, everything gets kind of... "lost", encrypted or not. Lost in user-name-land. It's kind of like keeping emails on the server, and not downloading them. Let them have it. I'm debating on doing the same.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 25 Sep 2013, 07:16

humm.. this is the feeling what the most have.. but in the fact it is other around.. because,
for the Clouds mus have any anyone an key for opening.. an general/head key for helping users or... government at last..
It should teach us that it is bad/ it should convey to us that it is bad,to keep everything to himself and,
well, if it "safe"(on the Provider and accessible for the government is), you see .. this over the theme "Clods"

Because, an Laptop or an Computer, can you remove/detach from the net.. an Clouds .. not, because it is on the Provider ..
They can say all.. but if any what not on your and, it is not really comprehensible who exactly touch the cloud.. because it is save, but for whom ?
This is the game with the cloud ... Gut the game with the hardware has lost the NSA, government and some security facilities lost, because, if's remove from the net it is not tangible .. you see .. Like with the Facebook if all be in, make it tangible to all Peoples inclusive Terrorists and Chihad-Peoples , but if they have an laptop who be not and never in the net ........... you see .. therefor supporting the government in all lands facebook for have an possible to have an bigger Database as they have by self .. you see .. This about Cloud's and Mass mediums ..something is more potentially hazardous , as it seems .. because, the hazardous robbery Animal it is this Animal wheres looks harmless, cute and wounded ... , this can have poison, , not see able claws and if open the mouth, maybe the hardest "kick ass"/Killer teeth's ! You see.. Think about if you take in the next time an cute lil' Rabbit ... Maybe a brutalo killer Rabbit ...
No in serious .. this is the "Cloud" the fluffy beautiful and saaaave ... space for the Users ..

but if you fell out from the Cloud's , where is the floor .. deep deep down .... the Floor of the Facts :C (aua .....)

best regards
Blacky

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Sep 2013, 02:57

I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 26 Sep 2013, 06:48

make it special, for being special and anybody want it .. comes what it want ..

but unfortunately many fall into the trap ..

but once of it, it's the good one.. they make his own place for supervise/observe/patrol or keep a watch on the peoples for making money
and by side for the NSA and the police and what ever ..

best regards
Blacky

b1o
IT and IS Guru-Berserk

Postby b1o » 27 Sep 2013, 08:20

dedanna1029 wrote:FYI, Boss and b1o,

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424849,00.asp

Yeah, i read that aswell. Sadly i have never played a PC game in the living room, so i don't qualify as beta tester.
I'm a pc gamer, give me a mouse and keyboard and 24 inch screen and i'm happy. Sofa gaming i have PS3 for. If steambox (steam machine) allows me to play the pc games in the living room, i can stop buying two copies of the same games, which would be great.
But we'll see after the Beta
CPU: i7 950 3.1 ghz |RAM: 12 GB DDR3 |Graphics: Nvidia Geforce gtx 280 |motherboard: Rampage II Extreme |OS: Arch + windows7

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 27 Sep 2013, 10:19

b1o wrote:I'm a pc gamer, give me a mouse and keyboard and 24 inch screen and i'm happy. Sofa gaming i have PS3 for. If steambox (steam machine) allows me to play the pc games in the living room, i can stop buying two copies of the same games, which would be great.
But we'll see after the Beta

ah an brother in mind :)

why do you mus buy 2 copy of games ?, you have an unice id and an serialnumber on the most games,
if you stand comuter behind you TV and plug in via pc-monitor-cable or hdmi or something you computer to the TV,
can you like behind an normal Computer Monitor you games .. in the livingroom.. if you have an newer flat tv ..

so it is not really need buy an game double if you want play it on both mashins..
but you mus looking for yousing the same ini's from the game where stay the UID and der serials on,
copy it manually to the other mashin/computer and you have no problem anymore ;)

best regards
Blacky

b1o
IT and IS Guru-Berserk

Postby b1o » 27 Sep 2013, 10:32

Yeah, but i have one copy for the PS3 at the moment, and one for the PC.
It's been a while since i bought PS3 games though, as i don't play that much from the couch anymore. Only when having guests really, and even then i sometimes cram them into my room to play PC games :D

Return to “Distro talk”