Installing Manjaro on my main box

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Installing Manjaro on my main box

Postby viking60 » 04 Jun 2013, 22:01

I am having big problems with sshd and port 22. I can log in to other computers but they are refused on port 22 no mater what. :berserk2
I have downloaded and installed firestarter an iptables frontend and it is set to permissive. Looks like someone has closed that port for me...
But violence will work :berserkf
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Jun 2013, 22:39

Brute force works, too. No need for violence (unless you're way too pissed off, of course).
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 05 Jun 2013, 00:02

So I downloaded and burned me the standard 0.8.6 standard (XFCE) version and fired it upImage

Me too! I'm getting weary of my icons in plasma-desktop showing up all jumbled off the lower edge of the screen at startup, even though I've painstakingly arranged them. When I kill X, I get a different arrangement, different panel background. I've consumed days trying to troubleshoot a problem with my Brother printer, even patching the driver according to a google expedition, installing file from Fedora, chasing my tail. :wall: I don't know if a different distro, different DE will solve this but it's time to try.

I've got internet for the recipes on a different machine, going to give Manjaro XFCE a shot. Image

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 05 Jun 2013, 01:51

I am back :wall:

I selected non-free launch, put 'nomodeset' in the kernel command line, and booted. After several minutes, only darkness. I could punch up the virtual ttys so, back in 7, I did the restart X trick, and got a desktop. Ok, I know the ropes, let's install.

However, once I get to my chosen partition, the installer won't let me choose reiserfs to format it. The first manjaro install is still there, so I back out, get root in terminal, and mkreiserfs on the sob. Back to installer, it won't let me go forward unless I format it in something other than reiserfs. Back a step or two and there is an 'expert' option that includes mounting my intended / on /target/
mount /dev/sdc1 /target
mount: wtf noob? no mount point /target
:wall:

I would think, if they want you to mount on /target, they'd make a mount point called /target, wdyt? Maybe it's some exotic foreigner misuse of the universal supreme language and '/target' is just code for some other name, idk. (I had tried to mount on /, albeit something was already mounted there, but installer complained to mount on /target).
:wall:

Anyway, I make a /target, mount my partition, there, proceed with the 'expert' install. I get a message to create an /etc/fstab on /target with all the intended mounts for my install. Maybe I can mount my Rosa, copy the fstab from there, and change the uuid for / to what sdc1 is. Almost done with that, I think about how this could turn into the 734G of historical personal data on my /home/rolf directory getting overwritten with the shadow defaults, so I bail.

Image XFCE on the live dvd looks reasonably friendly and I guess I could run that in Rosa but I really want to try to get my printer working by switching distros.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Jun 2013, 11:35

and '/target' is just code for some other name

Jupp I am pretty sure of that one :-D

I have no experience with reiser so I cannot tell you if that is a reason. I doubt it though. I'll see if I can dive into it and come out on the other end with some higher level of confusion, but the Arch devs got bored again so I am having a helluva time to update my wifes lap - and that is force majeure +1

As always they have left a god description but I have this leftover from the last manual intervention fontconfig-ubuntu which conflicts with fontconfig and fontconfig-ubuntu is a dependency of almost everything on the box so I cannot simply remove it.

I could use force of course :berserkf But if it goes wrong I will be eating bacon from Sæhrímnir.
So I will need 5 minutes for this one...

And given your sad story I cannot blame you for wanting to try something that "just works" :mrgreen:
OpenSuse "should" be good at this - those MS-collaborators (or maybe victims :think: since their liveCD won't boot on Win 8 UEFI-secure boot either).
As the Berserk liveCD shows - it is possible to work with it.

But remember: If you get Manjaro up and running you will not have to do it again......

Try to boot the liveCD without the internet cable connected!
http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=3898.0
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 05 Jun 2013, 15:51

Well, my internet connection is not slow, so I don't think that helps me but the stable text mode installer gives me reiserfs as an option, so I went that way. Pretty easy to do, after a few trial runs, to learn the system, I am booted to Manjaro 0.8.6 XFCE :berserkf

However, even though I set system to local time with proper timezone and all looked correct in the installer, my clock on the desktop seems to be showing UTC. I've been through all the menus, I think, even Settings Manager, as root, but I don't see where to change the clock. :?:

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 05 Jun 2013, 16:04

After snooping around google for how to edit files, looking at /etc/localtime, I see the clock has changed itself to localtime.
:think: Tricky fellow, this manjaro....

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 05 Jun 2013, 16:29

where is dpkg :?:

edit: Ok, I used yaourt to get dpkg and makepkg to install it but dpkg won't install my 32-bit printer driver deb (only arch available) on my 64-bit install of manjaro. I am looking for multiarch package or something; this works on other distros.....

edit: Ok, dpkg --add-architecture i386

edit: Ok, I got my printer drivers installed and tested for one annoying-failed-in-Rosa case. That is working in Manjaro. So, I think I will pursue this further with tweaks, maybe install KDE, look at the nvidia driver situation. :s

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Jun 2013, 19:23

Good job! :B
That local time stuff is really just a Windows thing you should use UTF (GMT) that way you can make your computer sync with the clock of clocks (in France I think) and always have the correct time.

Setting localtime is not recommended.
There are two time standards: localtime and Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). The localtime standard is dependent on the current time zone, while UTC is the global time standard and is independent of time zone values. Though conceptually different, UTC is also known as GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).
The standard used by hardware clock (CMOS clock, the time that appears in BIOS) is defined by the operating system. By default, Windows uses localtime, Mac OS uses UTC, and UNIX-like operating systems vary. An OS that uses the UTC standard, generally, will consider CMOS (hardware clock) time a UTC time (GMT, Greenwich time) and make an adjustment to it while setting the System time on boot according to your time zone.
When using Linux it is beneficial to have the hardware clock set to the UTC standard and made known to all operating systems

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Time

And now that you have found Yaourt you will never lack any software.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Jun 2013, 21:50

Meanwhile I have set up openbox on Manjaro
Image :dance1 Image
I have used:

Code: Select all

xcompmgr -c -Cf -t-5 -l-9 -r4.2 -o.55 -I-.015 -O-.015 -D 1 &

in ~/.config/openbox/autostart that makes the shadows smooth +1

I have also made the urxvt terminal transparent and integrated it in the wallpaper while running htop.
Before I also started conky - wich I will remove since it is a bit of an overkill :-D

The dock is docky in panelmode (you can have that fancy "Mac" mode too)

And may I add something that I really noticed in comparison to my Mandriva?

..Man this thing is fast! :love

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 05 Jun 2013, 22:26

You make it look so good and easy!

My luck is not so good. :Doh:

I have switched to the nvidia driver and installed KDE by your recipes. However, whenever I reboot, even with the login/out manager, the filesystem comes up NOT clean! and a reiserfsck ensues. This is not good. :snooty:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Jun 2013, 22:37

Not clean as in icons all over the place?
My KDE is clean as a whistle. I did install it with

Code: Select all

sudo pacman -S kde

But I use ext4 Maybe it is a reiser thing after all? :think:
You could try another kernel that is easy in Manjaro.

Return to “Distro talk”