Manjaro an easy "Arch" for the common user?

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Manjaro an easy "Arch" for the common user?

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Aug 2013, 07:41

hhmmm...

Is there an option I can place in a file for it to always save the cache? Also, let's say that one is having a tough time deciding between the XFCE version and Openbox version. Which would you recommend to get from the download page? I'd like both. I only need a proggie or two from KDE, nothing from Gnome except for maybe nautilus-dropbox and its dependencies. Never mind, I'm downloading the XFCE version now, will install Openbox later.

And, does AUR still have KDE3 stuff like Amarok 1.4.10?

Oooooohhh, and where can we get an md5sum or sha1 or whatever on the install disk, or do they not have them?

Is it easy to save /home when installing, and only format / (root)?

Thanks.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 03 Aug 2013, 11:50

orion70 wrote:I'm enjoying manjaro.gaming with it and i am very surprised at the boost.good stuff.

Yes I registered as a beta tester with Valve and I am running Team Fortress without a glitch. It works perfectly.

@dedanna
If you put /home on a separate partition you should be good.

The cache is saved in / and will build up as you install stuff. It lets you easily reverse bad installs and stuff you want to downgrade.
Once in a while you need to free up space on / and if you have a perfect running system that would be the time to clean the cache - it really frees up a lot of space.
You don't have to though.

Regarding Openbox vs Xfce I prefer Openbox but I have not downloaded the openbox version from the Manjaro site - I set up my own. So I have Xfce Openbox and Kde as options.
The default Xfce is good - so I recommend that. You can always follow the instructions elsewhere on this site to set up Openbox in addition.

And Yes AUR still has Amarok 1.4.10 +1
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Aug 2013, 17:19

The last you said there did it - that was the final deal breaker to install or not. Of course, I'm hoping they have Clementine in one of the repos, too.

Time to install Manjaro. :) Just need to get caught up time-wise.

Thanks!
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 05 Aug 2013, 15:47

Oooooooooohhh hoping you're still here?

md5sum check? I couldn't find an md5sum anywhere on the site? Thanks.

Edit: Never mind, found the wiki on that.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 05 Aug 2013, 16:55

WHOA, WAIT.

Manjaro doesn't support reiserfs???

Instant showstopper here. Here on distrowatch it says that it does support reiserfs, but after reading the above post, I'm not so sure?

I need confirmation one way or another? If you look here, ying asks if he should drop reiserfs support, and it looks like it may have been dropped. Thanks.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Aug 2013, 17:24

I'll get back to you on that...
It is there Philm likes it: :-D
http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=737.0
progreiserfs and reiserfsprogs are in the standard repos - everything is there.
So you may continue +1
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 05 Aug 2013, 18:16

OK, yeah, I hit up the live dvd (XFCE), pulled up Thunar, and there my drive was, safe and sound and readable, so figured that it did indeed support reiserfs. I'm still on that live dvd now. This is fun. The green desktop, as you mentioned in the other Manjaro thread, is nice. They must have hella-artists on this thing. :)

I do think though that I'm going to download a more regular-release dvd; I'm not too keen on installing from live. There's one listed at sourceforge; think I'll download it and get it rolling.

Edit: Uh, no, I'm wrong, there isn't one. Thought I saw one earlier. Is there a way to go straight to installation from the boot screen of the XFCE dvd?

Thanks for checking! :)
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Aug 2013, 20:55

There is a "install to hardisk" icon on the desktop.
It should work just fine.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 06 Aug 2013, 05:04

Yeah, that's how most installs go from the live cd or dvd.

Damn.

Well, it ain't gonna happen for a while. No time any more. An emergency's (sort of a long-term one) come up with one of my kids in New Mexico. I need to sell out here in Colorado in the next week and hit the road for back to New Mexico.

Good thing. Colorado's been hell anyway.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 06 Aug 2013, 08:10

There is a net install if you prefer that - I do not understand why installing from the Live DVD is bad though, :confused

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 06 Aug 2013, 12:46

I just noticed that Manjaro has passed Arch on Distrowatch.

It only means that Manjaro is going in the right direction, but that is not bad for a distro that was unheard of 9 months ago.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 06 Aug 2013, 13:57

For the same reasons that rolf has mentioned previously here in the forum. It's not as stable an install as a regular release dvd. I prefer them also because there are more packages one can install, which makes the install itself go faster, not having to download and install them afterwards. The net install I can't do. I'm on my mom's connection (it's not awfully fast), and she needs it periodically throughout the day.

I will get 'round to installing. I just can't do it now. My own daytime nightmare is just beginning IRL.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Distro talk”