Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Postby viking60 » 02 May 2012, 00:21

Ubuntu12.04 Is supposed to be faster than ever and Unity is improved.
The last time I tested it I could not see why anyone should need Unity.
This might have changed.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Postby viking60 » 23 May 2012, 16:01

I just Upgrade to 12.04 and checked out Unity again. Previously I had given up on working with workspaces because I could not places and drag windows on to them.
Now I found out that you can move say writer from workspace one to workspace two by right-clicking the windo top bar.
Only if the window is maximized you have to minimize it first to make it work.
Well I might as well go to the WC and try to hit the pot while standing on my hands while urinating in a 90 degree angel - how hard can it be?

Giving this crap up once again. Unity continues to be a disaster
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 23 May 2012, 19:28

Heads up. They came out with Linux Mint 12.04. It was there on my last install on the netbook. It's all Ubuntu to me; however, I do find that of the two, Mint is more stable and user-friendly.

That being said, I am going to attempt Arch on the notebook soon, even with the wireless bug going on with it. I'm sick to death of the insecurity of sudo this, sudo that, sudo my @ss. I may crash and burn, as Mint is the only distro that's worked on the netbook thus far. Really, I don't care. I've got to try.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 15 Aug 2012, 22:30

I gave Ubuntu a try again today, since it is a mystery how it works and I do like mysteries...
So I figured out that I can open different programs in different work spaces if I pick the workspace from the menu first.
As we have established the open programs are pretty much going to stay where you opened them - no drag and drop like in Gnome3.
Also this thing is not as stable as I would have expected - I just got an error when trying to open the Synaptic package manager.
A full crash with an offer to report it - which I did.
With Ubuntu and Unity I always thank God for the terminal because it is hard to figure out how that "user friendly" Unity Desktop actually works.
But I will get there... just give me some time.....
Maybe the next time I decide to take a look There must be a big secret in there somewhere.....

The fonts and the graphics look good. And I can Buy Landscape an Ubuntu tool that manages hundreds of Ubuntu machines.
I will not do that, but I see where Ubuntu is going with this and they also offer other commercial software in their software center.

Ok they want to earn a buck that is fine as long as it always stays clear what is free and what is not. And they do present it as additional offers to the traditional open source software so there is more to choose from.
It does give Ubuntu a different feel though, I am not sure everyone will like it. It is not all that impossible to install a commercial software by mistake (Landscape) and then I bet the nagging about payment will begin.

This is my third attempt to get under the skin of Unity. I am confused at a somewhat higher level, but I still have no problem with seeing why Mint has blown Ubuntu down from the throne.

jemadux
Viking

Postby jemadux » 17 Aug 2012, 16:20

ubuntu is very good distro but....
on intel atom sometimes is not working
i used this on my notebook as far i installed now debian testing

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 17 Aug 2012, 20:56

And Debian testing does work with Intel Atom? Strange that Ubuntu does, not considering the "family"
Ubuntu has good documentation and they are very good at speaking to new Linux users. So I think the distro is important in winning over new users. But I have this problem with Unity....

jemadux
Viking

Postby jemadux » 17 Aug 2012, 22:36

viking60 wrote:And Debian testing does work with Intel Atom? Strange that Ubuntu does, not considering the "family"
Ubuntu has good documentation and they are very good at speaking to new Linux users. So I think the distro is important in winning over new users. But I have this problem with Unity....

unity is good for me ...but my thinkpad has intel core i3 so .. nothing bad.. my mothers netbook i have installed ubuntu :tux5:

Return to “Distro talk”