Debian

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
b1o
IT and IS Guru-Berserk

Debian

Postby b1o » 09 Apr 2010, 12:59

Installed Debian 64 bits, really happy with the install, the cd was small 180 mb, it was easy to understand, you can choose from a lot of options,
when installed it is non-bloated, fast as hell, but i'm having some problems installing nvidia drivers and compiz.

other then that it's a really good desktop with lots of packages.
CPU: i7 950 3.1 ghz |RAM: 12 GB DDR3 |Graphics: Nvidia Geforce gtx 280 |motherboard: Rampage II Extreme |OS: Arch + windows7

Just remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, until you ask it

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Debian

Postby viking60 » 09 Apr 2010, 22:45

I had debian some time ago on my laptop with the broken monitor. It is a server distro and it is reliable. Probably the best server out there. I think it is better than Centos (because Debian is better documented than Centos). But the main issue is stability. So you have an old kernel and compiz isn't even supposed to run on that one.
Hell, the thing is so sensible that it is boring. Nothing much to explore there, and you are miles away from the cutting edge. Anyway I got bored with it a long time ago.
If you need a stable server, you should stick with it though.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Distro talk”