OpeneSuse 12.1

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

OpeneSuse 12.1

Postby viking60 » 23 Nov 2011, 00:52

Ok I have installed OpenSuse with Btrfs and started to test it. First I checked for updates - and there were some, so I updated.
Then I had to log out and back in to make them work - done that.
Checked for updates again and there were a lot again so I installed them, and accepted the licenses for Adobe etc.
And then my eternal Suse curse stroke again:
What is it with me and Suse? I always fall on my nose when testing it. So far everything had looked so good and now this :berserkf
I'll be back when I have fixed it......
Back again I decided to push the install button some more times before trying the CLI and all of a sudden it started downloading. After that I had to reboot to make the updates work Hmm.... that sounds very familiar :think:
Back in my usual mode when testing Suse and ready to tear it apart - again. I went to the terminal and did a:

Code: Select all

sudo zypper install opera

That would give me opportunity to slaughter this distro and.... It installed Opera without a blink! Not bad OpenSuse - no hourly studying of web pages regarding countless repos. :s
OpenSuse comes with the repos:
openSUSE-12.1-Non-Oss
openSUSE-12.1-Oss
openSUSE-12.1-Update

They are activated by default on installation and this time they do seem to contain some more software than before. So the repo situation seems to be improved.
Sudo is working after install and OpenSuse has activated the off option in the Gnome menu. That is very good!
I hope the Gnome guys take the signal and make it default.
Also OS is good looking - as always.
It comes with LibreOffice installed so it is time to take a look at it. It looks crisp an clean and nicely integrated - as good as it comes.
I fire up Firefox and a get a message that Tracker Fox 0.12.5 is outdated and has been disabled. But after that FF 8.0 pops up. By now I am a bit annoyed about the massive top bar on the windows. This is not OpenSuses fault it is Gnome3 but as the observant reader has discovered we have a fix for that in the Gnome3 - the switch topic.
Time to install the Gnome-tweak-tool so I do a :

sudo zypper install gnome-tweak-tool
and nothing :confused Ahrg hours of browsing repo info after all then. :berserk2
It will probably not do me any good anyway since I am in Fallback mode in VB so moving on.
Gimp looks good. Lifearea is a nice RSS reader.

The Admin tools of OpenSuse are called yast and their CLI equivalent is Zypper (I never got the OpenSuse sotware management right, but I think that is true). In the yast controlpanel I opened the software manager and searched for Bluefish and it came up with nothing.
Now the guessing game starts:
In what repo could it be?
No worries, we have the software repositories button too in the Yast control panel so that should be easy to figure out....
Well that only lists up a lot of repos but no content so I have no chance of finding out in what repo Bluefish is.
Reading on......
Ah silly me I only had to do the perfectly logic command

/sbin/yast2 webpin_package_search

And a nice program to search for packages pops up:
And fails....
Then I decided to activate the tumbleweed repos that make OpenSuse a rolling release.
Here I discovered an error in the documentation so one of the commands did not work.
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed
And the command not working is:

sudo zypper ar --refresh\
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/openSUSE-current/repo/oss/ \
'openSUSE Current OSS'

After I fixed it to:

sudo zypper ar --refresh \
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/openSUSE-current/repo/oss/ \
'openSUSE Current OSS'

It worked,
What is it with Suse and repositories?
I have invested quite some time and more than with other distros.
It is probably possible to find Bluefish somehow but I do not have the time to find out.
In Mandriva you search and you find. In Arch you search and you find. In Ubuntu you search and you find. No two ways about it.
In Suse you get to read a lot of cryptic web pages - and the layout is not user friendly IMHO.
OpenSuse is probably a solid distro and comes with a lot of programs.
Many will be happy with that, and it will probably run nicely and be stable. All that is there looks good and works nicely
(Eh well not webpin as we have seen).
Is it flexible? No
It is a distro that you have to dive into, and once you are caught by it you will probably like it and stay there.
But you will have to invest the time.
You be the judge of whether it is worth the investment.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Distro talk”