Fedora 16

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Fedora 16

Postby viking60 » 14 Nov 2011, 17:22

As announced I wanted to take a look at Fedora 16. Since I already had a Fedora15 install I decided to upgrade it. But yum update or yum upgrade does not do that. So I had to Google a bit and found a recipe on the fedora project pages.
You only have to do a y2£$½{ and a }[¥½$£@@@¡¡$¥[]}±´ and tell the developers about the bugs that you might find :coffee_smile: Since I feel lazy today I just made a fresh install:
The installation went fine:
ImageImage

I was prompted to register my user and timezone etc and it all went fine and was easy and logical.
After login I was a bit surprised that my native language did not appear based on the keyboard choice or something.
I had to install some language pick program first to do that. But that worked just fine so after a re-login my menus were in my language.
I am aware that Fedora is an Open Source purist so naturally I wanted the dangerous repos with the good forbidden stuff. I went to the Fedora documentation and... I could not find the info.
That might be natural since the do not want it but still a short HowTo (that I could find) couldn't hurt.
In fact I have heard praise of the Fedora Wiki but I had a hard time finding what I needed in it.
Yeah it is probably me......but I have no problem with LOVING the Arch wiki and I can find my way arround the Ubuntu wiki too. In Feodra I can't :confused
Finally I find a whisper of rpm-fussion with a malfunctioning link so I at least can Google it. And Eureka there we have this click 'n install site where only clicking on two links hooks me up with the hot stuff.
http://smashingweb.ge6.org/fedora-16-po ... t-desktop/
http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration
And it works perfectly!
A short yum update and the world is at my feet.
Hmm I cannot get VBoxAdditions to work here so I am forced to use 1024x768 resolution. In the old days that was no problem because I could install system-config-display and set my resolution as I wanted too. But sadly this has been removed from the repos.
So time to start using it a bit then, with that rotten resolution........ I'll be back with reports.....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Fedora 16

Postby dedanna1029 » 14 Nov 2011, 21:09

Yeah, the disappearance of system-config-display makes things a pain in the dupa!
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Distro talk”