OS/2

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

OS/2

Postby viking60 » 26 Jun 2011, 15:29

ImageThis IBM OS/2 has a lot of die hard fans even if it failed miserably in the competition with Microsoft.
I remember I tried it myself and that they were in serious driver trouble so I could not use it for business.
IBM had a golden opportunity to sell the stuff because I was using IBM S36 and later AS400, and so were a lot of businesses.
It was a pretty good OS, that I can remember, but it just disappeared. During the whole time since, I have come across die hard fans on the internet. Some of them had to give it up, and some of them have continued with the OS. I wondered why, since it clearly was not maintained anymore, and to my surprise on of them told me that it is and that it was updated not one year ago!
Que???
It is continued under the name ecomstation!

eComStation is the operating system of today!

eComStation is a highly efficient operating system that truly flies on today’s powerful computers, and works great on legacy hardware. The minimal resource requirements extend the life of your IT environment, offering a greater return on your investment in computer hardware.

eComStation interoperates with Windows, Linux and NetWare. It also offers excellent compatibility with DOS, Java and OS/2 applications. You can safely share your ADSL, cable or ISDN Internet connection with up to 253 PCs by using the built-in firewall. And, all of this comes packaged with an easy to use GUI.

eComStation installs directly from CD on modern hardware like AMD Athlon64 based computers, large IDE and SATA harddrives and supports a host of network-, sound- and videocards out of the box

eComStation is fully OS/2 compatible and will run your existing OS/2 applications!

It looks like the system has the same advantages that Linux has.
The system is very light weight and - as always with IBM - High quality!
It is not open source but you can get the LiveCD for free. I just might download it and have a look. Just to see why there still are die hard fans around...
Any of them here?
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: OS/2

Postby dedanna1029 » 27 Jun 2011, 18:19

I don't know but it's sure looking interesting here.

For those interested, here's the link to the demo cd.
Please note
The current Demo CD is based on the eComStation 1.2 product and does not reflect the current state of the eComStation 2.0 product.
For example, the only supported virtual machines for this Demo CD are Parallels Desktop and Microsoft Virtual PC.
An updated Demo CD will be published shortly.

<snip>

Can I hand the Demo CD out to friends or colleagues ?
Yes, you are allowed to copy and distribute this Demo CD as long as you do not charge money for it, other than a
compensation for the cost of duplication.
It is not allowed to distribute the CD over the Internet, instead, please refer to http://www.ecomstation.com/demo/
If you want to include the Demo CD with a magazine, or otherwise distribute it on large scale, please contact us.
Will you release a version that can be installed on harddrive ?
No, the intention of the Demo CD is not to allow installation on your computer. If you are a corporate user and are
seriously interested in evaluating eComStation, you can contact sales and request an evaluation copy of eComStation.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Distro talk”